Jane Doe, PhD, John Doe, JD

jnmeade

I'm curious as to your take on pilots who use non-aviation credentials as part of their signature on an aviation forum.
Does a PhD in agronomy lend credence to a post about a Saratoga? Does having an MD add weight to a comment about a Twin Comanche? Does your JD.....no, I won't go there! :)
As you may guess, I'm cynical about the benefit of adding a professional title in a case where the discipline doesn't imply expert knowledge about some field germane to the topic.
Using MD in an aviation field when discussing aviation medicine is prima facie appropriate and indeed, desired. Few would complain if that doctor talked about flying balloons or gliders. It's the MD who may be a dermatologist and never contributes to medical discussions that makes me wonder why they append MD to their signature line.
Well, I suppose that will make the doctors mad although that's not my intent. I'm more curious about the guy who says he was a professor of French or a Sergeant Major in the Infantry, as if that matters to the angle of attack discussion. Why, one could be a professor of extra-territorial intelligence - I guess that rates as flying high.
Yes, I have little to do today since the corn is laid by and the beans are waiting for another rain. I could go put my sprayer away for the winter.

I think the credentials may be germane to discussion of some scientific and medical topics, particularly if the speaker is making an argument from authority. I try to avoid that sort of argument myself and instead focus on the issues and facts.

I can almost always tell which speakers have professional training in either science or medicine simply from how they approach the question of evidence and certainty in the discussion.

Someone mentioned intelligence, which is again another personal characteristic of the speaker and so not particularly germane to the validity of an argument. But it is true as a statistical matter that if you have to guess someone’s IQ, I was taught to take 100 and add 15 for every degree level past high school. That was some years ago though. Different numbers might be better now.

flyingron said:
For years when I was doing article peer reviews and the like, I'd get letters addressed to Dr. Natalie. I guess it's safer to call someone Doctor when they don't have a PhD than it is to potentially slight them when they do.
Exactly my policy. In professional correspondence, if in doubt, it is “Dear Dr. “

Sinistar said:
Really? I contact countless PhDs for research purposes almost always Physics. If they sign their correspondence with Dr before the first name I will happily use that from then on. Otherwise first name, last name.
There may be a difference in subject matter there. I am often dealing with biomedical research and the chances of their having an MD is likely higher.

In the hospital or clinical setting the MDs and most PhDs are always addressed as Dr. It is part of knowing who is in charge in that setting.

In initial correspondence with people I will always address them as Dr. if I know they have one or if it is uncertain. If a person does not have a degree, then I will initially address them as Mr. or Ms. I guess I am old enough that I was taught this was good manners.

Jumpmaster said:
As I found out later, this was a ploy that this attorney used repeatedly with Drs since it was certain to upset them and consequently they would make mistakes in the depositions.
Interesting strategy. I should think this could backfire in front of the jury as it could make the attorney appear to be a disrespectful jerk to many.

Back