Just feel like venting

old cfi

I quit instructing in the early 90's. My choice. I relocated 1,000 miles and went back into another business I did earlier in my life. Never kept up with aviation from then until this year. To say I was amazed at the changes doesn't quite cover it. Can't believe the PPL requirements, the CFI & 3rd class medical pairing, XC requirements and the arrogance the DPE's have acquired over the years along with their ridiculous rates. Back in my time, the student NEVER received any XC planning ahead of their scheduled check ride (at least not with the DEP's I used). The FAA's ambiguous flight requirements leaves the door open for instructors and flight schools to convince the unknowing student he needs 30-35 hrs dual to meet minimum requirements which is false. The system is badly broken. I had a student pilot tell me just the other day he learned more in his 1.1 solo XC than he did in 30 hrs. dual. 20 hrs. solo should be required and should be so stated in the PPL requirements. Also believe they ought to go back to the solo XC required for PPL to be 10 hrs. with 1 XC being 300 nm with landings at 3 airports 100 nm apart. Want to learn about XC, try that one.

The medical issues have gotten way out of hand. Now it seems that if you have a cold you need to have more tests done to prove whatever it is they want you to prove. Third class medicals were always a joke anyway. Use to be if you walked in, BP was almost normal, lungs were clear, eye test proved you weren't blind, you walked out with your medical. Now, well we really don't even need to go into that one, do we. But medicals work, right! Keeps medical problems out of the cockpit. Tell that to Captain Johnston's family in Utah. He had a First Class medical but still managed to have a massive coronary in the cockpit. And there have been 8 more in the last 10 years. And that's with a First Class!

Remember, this is a country of free speech and I just made mine. Banter away!;):mad2:

Back