KML Overlay of AM Radio Stations in the US

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
I have just completed a project to provide a KML overlay that can be used in Foreflight and other EFBs which shows the location, frequencies, and call signs of all AM radio stations in the US. So you can turn the layer on, zoom in on a target area, and find nearby stations to use with your ADF (well, my plane still has one ;)

Available on my flying page at http://steinmetz.org/peter/flying/index.html

I also did my instrument training in my Cardinal. When I first got it, the ADF was indicating off by about 20 degrees. I did some googling and found that they are apparently fairly sensitive to extra capacitance in the lines from the loop or its connectors. Pulled it from the rack and cleaned the connectors and back in business.

My instructor later told me that he had hoped it would continue not working so he wouldn't have to teach me how to do NDB approaches :)

Domenick said:
Peter, I do appreciate your efforts and generosity, a state-by-state-organization of the data may be easier to use. Flying about in unfamiliar territory I would have no idea of and local stations' call letters.
If you load the map as an overlay in Foreflight, you can just zoom in where you want.

If you want a subset for a specific state or set of states, I can make one up for you. Just let me know. I might add a breakdown next year, depending on how general the call for it is.

Back