Landing the Cherokee 140

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone want to share their recipe, if they have experience, for landing the Piper Cherokee 140? The one I am flying with a student has vortex generators which seem to be really delaying the stall.

The vortex generators make it not exactly a 140.

Do those vortex generators make any difference wrt stabilator authority? Having enough elevator was a significant factor in how my stock 140 landed.

It seems like the vortex generators should smooth out the airflow after the wing. I should think that will improve elevator control authority - would it not?
I don't believe so. My understanding that It's not turbulence that degrades stabilator authority, rather the stabilator isn't large enough (the 140 has a smaller stabilator than the 180, for example)

So then the turbulence and vortex generators won't matter much for landing?

In any case, I would be curious to hear what your standard recipe was - thanks.

I think they do. By about 5 mph. So I guess the final approach speed is likely best reduced as well?

My concern would be still having enough airflow over the stabilator.

I've been trying to remember any specific settings I used with my 140 on final. I keep coming back to set an RPM (1600 rpm? 1700 rpm?) and target airspeed (about 65 knots) but then adjust it to keep a stabilized approach. One thing to remember is that you need enough power/speed for the stabilator to keep the nose up... and fly it onto the runway.

Back