Light airplane for 130 mile commute......

Slipkid65

Hi folks!

I am in the market for an airplane to commute roughly 30-40 times per year, between Naples, FL and Orlando. Depending on where I can find hangar space (KAPF, KIMM maybe KMKY), it'll be roughly 110 to 130 NMs via air.

I've been doing the 180 mile (each way) drive for almost 13 years, and between the increasing population and general dumbing down of society, I am well over the thrill of near death every 3-4 days, not to mention I can save about an hour, even if I use KISM vs. KMCO. I've got 15 years left before retirement, and the thought of doing this drive for the better part of 30 years total has got me looking at airplanes!

In addition to the commute, the airplane would likely be used to travel across the state to see relatives a few times per year, and to provide a training platform for my 17 y.o. son.

I'm an ATP and have been flying for over 30 years (well over 20k hours), but haven't been in command of a SEL airplane in over 25, and have only gone for rides with others a handful of times in that time (mostly a friend's T-34).

As much as I'd like a complex single like a Bonanza, Mooney, Comanche etc., I'm thinking that something with gear down and welded, and a fixed pitch prop/O-360 would serve me well (Cherokee 180, 172/180, AA-5 etc) are the most likely candidates. IFR equipped is also a must.

I've flown all of these in the past, as well as worked on them in MX back in the early to mid '80's (no A&P though..... something I truly regret not pursuing when I was doing it every day!) I feel that they'd offer the most bang for the buck for both the commute, overall cost and resale.

In the 30+ years I've been flying, I've only seriously considered buying an airplane once, while I was building time. I've been out of the GA world a long time, and have just begun to research buying and owning one, so ANY advice from you folks would be greatly appreciated!

Slipkid65 said:
I lose some of the non commuting utility with a 150, but that might be worth the offset in total costs.
If it is ~120 nm, then the total travel time involved works out to:

Preflight: 10+ minutes (how fast are you?)
Fueling: 10+ minutes (might get 3 legs between fuelings.)
Taxi/departure: 10+ minutes

Actual cruise time between centers of airports (unrealistic but oft used) at various speeds:
120 nm/90 kts = 80 mins
120 nm/120 kts = 60 mins
120 nm/150 kts = 48 mins

Maneuvering into the pattern: ~5 minutes?
Arrival/taxi/postflight/tiedown: 10+ minutes?
Travel to/from airports at either end: ?

I'm guessing 45 minutes is consumed by the usual rituals required to aviate (I fully expect others to dispute these numbers) regardless of how long the cruise portion is, so the difference between a slow inexpensive 150/152 and a fast but more expensive Mooney is to cut a 2 hr 5 minute travel time to 1 hr 33 minute.

Slipkid65 said:
I am just past the point where I am flat out sick and tired of the drive. I love my job, but I HATE the commute.
If it is just the drive ... an ultralight helicopter (e.g. Mosquito) or ultralight gyroplane are the low end VTOL (or nearly so) - other than a jetpack - that come closest to replacing the auto. But they might be a tad too slow (55 kts) even though the helicopter would have the best chance of removing the need for any ground transport overhead. Would certainly break the monotony and frustration of the drive in a unique way.

I'm looking for simple, reliable, (relatively) inexpensive transportation that my son can use to train on.
Pretty much covered by the 2 and 4 seat spam cans already mentioned and under your consideration.

Back