Lightsquared and GPS system

TMetzinger said:
Just for grins, I've attached a paper I wrote for my current English class on the subject. It got an A.
Not bad; but I'd grade it A- because there aren't enough pictures. :wink2:

denverpilot said:
In Corporate jobs, that'd have to be pared down to eight three-word bullet points so we could all enjoy some Death by PowerPoint style briefings for management. Writing isn't read by anyone anymore. ;)
  • Use bullet points.
  • Be brief.
  • Mold consensus toward management dictates.
:rolleyes:

Update; looks like LightSquared got shot down by an act of congress:

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/onepercent/2012/01/new-act-scuppers-lightsquareds.html

"A clause buried deep in the 565 pages of the 2012 Defense Authorization act passed in December bars the Federal Communications Commission from approving systems that interfere in any way with military GPS. The bill also tells the FCC to supply Congress with a final copy of the report from its working group, which late last year issued a preliminary report warning that a system proposed by telecoms firm LightSquared of Reston, Virginia would cause serious interference."

bbchien said:
Impossible website, Mike. Provide guidance, e.g, a link to the EXACT page where to leave comments or they've won. It's a SH_T site, any number that you've given that I search is a document, not a comment accepting page.

NONE of the choices in the "select rulemaking" window is identifiable as this issue. I would wager it's a deliberate attempt to obfuscate commentary. So which of the about 30 choices is it?
I think this may be it:

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=11-109

Then click on "Submit a Filing in 11-109" which appears near the top. Note that I haven't tried submitting a comment yet.

patrick wentworth said:
thank you for the link--time to vote early and often fellow citizens.

Added my .02 to their request for comments. :mad2: :(:(

As an electronics countermeasures trained pilot, we are well aware of the interference caused by ground based transmitters in a space based satellite electromagnetic environment. By continuing to entertain comments on what was an error in allowing the switch to using the band in an unauthorized manner is a waste of the taxpayers money. We gps users are outraged at the government agency that failed to perform the most basic of scientific analysis in a professional manner. The company failed to be able to come up with a space based solution and their blatant use of legal mischief needs to be curtailed. Technically this exercise is over. Now we must shut this exercise down and quit spending any more time and money on it.
My guess is that LS has nothing to lose by asking for a declaratory ruling. At this point things could drag on a long time, which is probably not good, business-wise.

The FCC might decline to issue a declaratory ruling (not sure if they have that option) or might rule against LS or, best decision for LS, in favor.

The certitude of a negative ruling might open up other legal possibilities for them that are preferable to indefinite and hostile limbo. Or not.

olasek said:
They have one already in orbit, a pretty large one too.
I had no idea :redface: - I assumed the only reason they wanted to go and spend yet more billions on a ground based system was because their satellite plan wasn't going to work out or cost too much.

It seems their satellite is in indeed one of the largest ever launched, with the largest commercial reflector antenna:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightSquared

Seems the terrestrial sites were only originally intended to handle areas in radio "shadows," but I guess they decided to push for more and that backfired.

Back