Linux on the Boeing 777

Jim Logajan

Administrator
Staff member
Wife and I took a trip to England, and on the return trip we were in the sardine section, but they had nice little entertainment displays in the seatbacks of the B777 we flew on. I had never flown on a B777 before, so found it interesting that they had a map mode that showed where the jet was at all times, including altitude, ground speed, and the amount of head or tail wind. The fact that the altitudes stayed within a 2 or 3 feet of the thousand-foot flight levels indicated to me that the value was from the barometric altimeter and not from GPS readings.

After landing while waiting to leave the jet the power cycled on the rows we were sitting in (didn't happen to all seats, just a few) and that is when I saw the Linux penguin logo and boot sequence appear on our screens. Seemed slow to boot - looked like they built the kernel with a lot of presumably irrelevant drivers included. (Maybe they wanted to avoid GPL tainting of anything else they wrote, even if it was just an application program?)

If someone had asked me to guess the OS behind their entertainment centers, I would have said BSD, Solaris, or even Windows.

(I see by a Google search the Linux on B777 is already known.)

Back