Mid-air at KSDM

luvflyin said:
God help us all if if there are many disagreements with this. If we start running into each other and try to excuse our way out responsibility because "it didn't show up on the fishbowl" you ain't seen nothing yet as to how much airspace is going to become positively controlled. The United States Class B??????
Midair collisions are newsworthy and notable presumably because they are so rare. It has not been excellent visual scanning by pilots that has kept such accidents in the 1 to 2 percent range of types of ways pilots die.

I'm having some difficulty understanding why use or even misuse of traffic alert systems should in any way cause an increase in midair collisions, rather than a decrease.

luvflyin said:
I was responding to a previous post that said "...I do know it is not fool proof and I do keep my eyes outside. I know many will disagree with my thoughts." I think Traffic Alert systems are very valuable. But a misuse of them would be to bury your head in the cockpit because you have it. If "visual scanning" isn't what has kept midair fatalities in the 1 to 2 percent range, what is? We're you talking just about recent years when TCAS and TCAS clones have become available to the bug smasher crowd?
I list some references to studies on this subject in this post:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1597661#post1597661

Back