"Mild ADD"

mscard88

OK, one of my students just told me the FAA has 'temporary denied' his medical and have requested additional information. His personal Dr has sent in a letter pertaining to the treatment. I mentioned Dr Bruce and told him about all the positive referrals here and that he may want to contact Dr Bruce. Anyway, he's going to try it on his own. Anyone know if this could be a problem for him? Don't know the drug's name.

mscard88 said:
Student called the FAA this morning, and because he's on an anti-depressant (forget the name) he is forbidden to hold any medical, including Basic Med.
He could start learning to fly in gliders in the meantime, so long as he can self-certify that he is safe.

Teaches the basics very well I think and soaring can be quite challenging.

azblackbird said:
The .gov can't take any chances that he might flip out and and drive an airplane into a building. Sad but true due to the nanny environment we now live in. :(
Made worse by the fact that I don’t know there is any evidence that the FAAs medical process and screening predict and thereby prevent people from flipping out and driving airplanes into buildings.

It is mostly a reactive set of rules with little predictive value.

bbchien said:
He’s going to give it up or end up like Martha Stewart.
I believe Martha Stewart was a criminal case from the beginning. Isn’t an FAA enforcement action regulatory? If so, you can fight it as an administrative action (civil) and o the appellate court if needed. Fairly different procedures and downside risks.

Nonetheless, he should definitely be getting expert advice on the medical aspects rather than winging it.

mscard88 said:
Perhaps, but I can't blame him. He loves flying, so wouldn't you try anything possible too? He has nothing to lose at this point.
He should really try gliding as mentioned above. Might like it.

denverpilot said:
And that’s just the possible regulatory violation. It doesn’t address the medical denial at all. That’s not an appealable thing AFAIK.
I think there must be some type of appeal, because remember John King ended up in front of the NTSB on his medical and that is the organization which handles the FAA regulatory cases ultimately.

Back