My New Aircraft Classifeids Site

planeviz

I had my airplane for sale in ‘08 when the aircraft sales were very slow. After listing it with the big three at various times I decided to keep it and still own her. However, having a background in web development left me thinking how I would do an aircraft classifieds site differently. About 4 months ago I decided to go for it. It’s PlaneViz.com and it’s finally open.

How it’s different. Well, it’s 99.9% empty :eek:! But I’m working on that. You can help by listing your Sale, Partnership, Fraction, or Lease; it’s free. (Do a search for NY to see what the search results and look like; the 195 is in fact for sale.)

I would appreciate your feedback on the site itself and the process of adding aircraft. It has some pretty major differences than what we are all used to in a classifieds site.

• It’s location aware, displaying aircraft in the vicinity of the site visitor ahead of more distant ones. I did that because from my experience it’s more likely that a buyer will come for a look at an aircraft that is closer to them. Plus, when selling a share it’s useful to have the ad display to local pilots.
  • It’s entirely search based.
  • It's completely self-service.
  • The video on the home page is purely for enjoyment or educational value and changes every so often.
Please give it a try if you have an airplane or helo to sell.

PS. No joy with IE 7, requires 8 or 9. Good to go with most others browsers.

Thanks!

Dave Goodwin

Assuming someday there are 500 airplanes in your database, how would I search on common criteria? For example, suppose I'm only interested in IFR equipped single engine airplanes under $40k built after 1969 with less that 1000 hours since last engine overhaul?

I understand the tradeoff. It is just that in terms of searching, trade-a-plane and controller seem to have a pretty good set of pre-defined search criteria fields that can help narrow things down. Of course this assumes the sellers bother to fill these in, and not all do.

Something as simple as search for listings with asking prices under a certain amount would go a long way. Barnstormers doesn't seem to have even that ability with their search criteria. Barnstormers is probably your main competition and I think their layout and navigation is terrible. About 15 years out of date, design-wise.

Back