N/A Bathroom Remodeling Advice Needed N/A

wanttaja

We've got a modern reproduction Victorian-style house with two and a half baths (half bath downstairs, two full baths upstairs with the bedrooms).

Both the full baths have slipper-style ball-and-claw tubs. The bath off the master bedroom has a separate walk-in shower, but the "guest" bathroom has a shower head over the tub and a frame around it holding a shower curtain.

This arrangement is practically worthless. Anyone using that shower has to step over an extremely high sidewall of the tub, and the full-diameter shower curtain sucks in and gives one little room to move. We hardly dare let visitors (other than kids) use it.

We're getting ready to remodel the guest bathroom. The ball-and-claw tub is going to go, for sure. But I'm not sure what to replace it with.

My preference would be to replace the tub with a walk-in shower. However, I'm concerned that NOT having a tub in there would hurt resale value. We could put in a conventional tub-shower setup, but I think a walk-in shower would be far more useful.

So, what do folks think? I know we'll lose some visual appeal by getting rid of one of the ball-and-claw tubs. But will the fact that the house has only one bathtub (in the master bath) hurt marketability?

I've considered a walk-in tub/shower...anyone have any experience with those?

Ron Wanttaja

EdFred said:
Ditch the 78" vanity, and put in a 42" one, or even a pedestal sink.
Speaking only of my own tastes, I couldn't live with an isolated sink - I need someplace near the sink/mirror to put my electric razor, contact lens stuff, deodorant, and other toiletry junk. It tends to sit on the counter day in and day out. Only a few things manage to get stowed in the vanity drawer. Even a guest using a guest bath will need someplace to spread their stuff in their morning bathroom ritual.

Also - who cleans the bathroom? In my house that is my job, and since we're planning a remodel of the master bath sometime this year, I'm taking into consideration ease of cleaning during selection of tile (which needs replacing), kinds of sinks and how they mate to any counter, shower stall, and such.

Back