NA: Interstate or Back Roads?

ARFlyer

The last thread got me thinking about a debate I always get in to with my friends.

Do you like to use interstates or back roads (US, State, County) for travel ?

I will go first. I like interstates if I have a need or to get somewhere in the shortest time possible. If not, I perfer the back roads for multiple reasons. Less traffic and less crazy drivers. A lot more visually satisfying scenery. Also I can drive 10 over and use the whole road for cornering. :

I guess I'm bias since I was raised and still live in Arkansas. If you want to go anywhere in the north part of the state FORGET about interstates and quick travel. A 120 mile trip could easily take you 3+ hours.

So what does the rest of POA say?

"When we get these thruways across the whole country, as we will and must, it will be possible to drive from New York to California without seeing a single thing." -- John Steinbeck, Travels With Charley: In Search of America"If the traveler expects the highway to be safe and well graded, he may as well stay home. The little roads without numbers are the ones I have liked the best, the bumpy ones that lead over the hills toward vicinities unknown . . . . I keep thinking I will find something wonderful just around the next bend."
"The interstate highway system is a wonderful thing. It makes it possible to go from coast to coast without seeing anything or meeting anybody. If the United States interests you, stay off the interstates." -- Charles Kuralt, A Life on the Road
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/infrastructure/first.cfm

Back