Near-Fatal Spin on First Solo

I was training for a private pilot's license in a Cessna 172, and had about 35 hours flight time and 175 take-offs and landings under my belt by the time I was cleared for my first unsupervised solo. During the solo, I made a series of poor decisions and mistakes and nearly ended causing what undoubtedly would have been a fatal crash. Lesson learned: please practice stall and spin recovery so that you don't panic if it happens to you.

My flight plan, which I had worked out ahead of time with my instructor, was simply to fly out to our usual training area and practice the ground reference and air maneuvers that we had been working, and then fly straight back. The trouble started when I went into practicing the air maneuvers, which I had become accustomed to practicing in a certain sequence: steep turns, slow flight, power-off stall, power-on stall. So that's what I did. I practiced steep turns, both to the left and right, and then into slow flight (with full flaps), and power-off stall. My intention was never to actually stall the plane, but rather to practice (as I had done with my instructor) approaching the threshold, recognizing the signs, and recovering.

It was right at the point between the threshold of a stall and the point of recovery when things started to go very wrong. I can recall applying full throttle, but I had not yet begun to raise the flaps, when I felt the left wing of the plane start to drop. I instinctively reacted by turning the yoke hard to the right. I had been taught to use the rudder here, but clearly had not yet internalized that. Upon doing so, the plane stopped flying and started a slow spin. At first I didn't realize what was happening. I knew something was wrong because the nose dropped and I was looking straight ahead at the ground, but I didn't understand the reasons.

Again acting on more instinct than proper training, I first tried to just pull the nose of the plane up by pulling back on the yoke. And it worked, the nose came up to the horizon and I remember feeling relieved, but only for a moment before the nose dropped again. I pulled back again and brought the nose up a second time, and it dropped right back down. I think I tried a third time before I realized what was happening.

:hairraise: At that instant, pure and total panic hit me like a ton of bricks. I had visions of the local paper reporting on the death of a student pilot, and I could only think to myself "how in the hell did I manage to get myself into this? I am going to crash and die on my first solo!" I had never practiced spin recovery before and this was not a topic that had been address with my instructor nor one that I recalled (at the time) from ground school.

Luckily, I had just finished reading a great old book called Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche. I remembered the reading about the basics of spin recovery and began to apply what I remembered. First thing in my mind was apply opposite rudder to stop the spin; I wasn't sure which rudder was opposite, and I can recall feeling like I did not have time to ponder and figure it out, so I just guessed and stepped on one of them. When spin got faster, I knew I had guessed wrong. So I let up on that rudder and applied the correct opposite rudder, which did quickly stop the spin. Then release back pressure on the yoke, as I had still been trying to hold the nose up this whole time. Then I realized the plane was at full throttle and full flaps, so I reduced throttle and raised the flaps incrementally as the plane started flying again.

Now I was drenched in sweat, like I had just stepped out of the shower, but the plane was flying again. I'm not certain how long it took or how much altitude I lost, but I started at around 3,500 and my perception was certainly that I had narrowly avoided a fatal accident. I went straight back to the airport and have been terrified to get back in the cockpit since. The feeling of that wing dropping out from under me will forever be associated with an intense visceral terror that I felt during those moments.

Some people have all the fun!

I trained in a C-152 that was placarded against intentional spins. This is not to say I didn't manage to nearly start an unintentional spin once with the CFI on board, but while my CFI yearned to teach me via intentional spin and recovery, he couldn't legally do it in that plane. (I think he was more concerned with the anger of the plane's owner if he found out than anything the FAA might do.)

You could consider switching to flight training in a gyroplane, helicopter, or balloon....

I went straight back to the airport and have been terrified to get back in the cockpit since.
If you don't go back up soon - with your CFI - as soon as possible you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon - and for the rest of your life.

The feeling of that wing dropping out from under me will forever be associated with an intense visceral terror that I felt during those moments.
Certainly gets the heart rate up! Thing is, you should now know what you are capable of - and that primal fear didn't cause you to "lock up".

silver-eagle said:
Good that you had recovered and were around to tell us the story otherwise these same boobs telling you to get a new instructor would be hanging you in effigy for your obvious mistakes. That and your instructor who, while some do not believe so, probably instilled enough skill in your young self to know how to recover.
I notice that the original poster (OP) hasn't logged in since April 7, so unless he or she is reading this thread while not logged in, the OP isn't going to be affected one way or another by our comments.

I'm not sure how I would have reacted to surviving unintentional entry into a spin. I remember the angst felt prior to solo flights (even dual, for that matter) - though it seemed to vanish once I was buckled in and the engine started. But would return some during slow flight and stall practice. I did think about what was needed to recover from a spin before my first solo attempts at stalls. I worried enough that I practiced the recovery steps on MS Flight Simulator using an aircraft model that easily entered spins and was impossible to stop spinning if you used ailerons before stopping the rotation with rudder.

redtail said:
I couldn't get any of the default planes to spin or sideslip in MSFS/FSX.

Let me guess, you bought the SIAI-Marchetti SF260 by RealAir:wink2:.
That is one of the most impressive addon planes available for MSFS.
Not that airplane, though it sounds intriguing!

Flight1's Cessna 152 addon for FS9 (2004), of all things. I suppose it could more accurately be described as entering an aggressive nose down roll once a wing drops, but because it only seemed to respond to rudder input until the roll/spin slowed I found it useful in conditioning me to use rudder and lay off the aileron.

I also have Carenado's C-152 addon - though I don't think I've tried spins in it, but allegedly it can be spun. (My CH yoke and rudder have been gathering dust the last few months.) Other users seem to find it has more realistic flight dynamics than other 152 addons, but I always found the Flight1 model was easiest to taxi using CH Products' rudder pedals, so gravitate toward that on FS9. Frustrating to have to muck with the rudder adjustments to get other addons from being so twitchy during taxi.

mikeinbama said:
I had read this thread back in April. I am supposed to solo tomorrow (first), three hops around the pattern. Rereading this has rekindled my fear of spinning. I am not really scared to solo tomorrow, I am scared to go out and do power-on stalls. I am training in a PA28 that isn't approved for spins or I would have my instructor take me out and we would spin the hell out of it. We do have a 172 on the field. How well would that translate? As someone earlier in the thread said, is it legal to enter the insipient phase? Obviously I would prefer to learn in what I am flying, but I want to stay alive too.
The Cessna 152 I trained in had a helpful placard for such cases:
136141_28596210-iphone5a_l.jpg

Oops, wrong placard. That one works so long as one follows this one:

proxy-251-jpeg.356

Attachments

• proxy.251.JPEG
    proxy.251.JPEG
    383.8 KB · Views: 93
RoscoeT said:
These days, receiving spin training from a qualified aerobatic/spin instructor is probably safer than doing basic PPL training in a 152.
I think you need to pick a better example. First because it is well a (relatively) well known statistic that the accident rate during primary training is actually lower than the accident rate flying after the license has been earned.

Second, the C-152 has one of the lowest accident rates around - lower even than the C-172 which is considered to have very low accident rate:

Overall accidents per 100,000 hours:
C-152: 2.2
C-172: 5.8
GA Avg: 6.3

Fatal accidents per 100,000 hours:
C-152: 0.19
C-172: 0.6
GA Avg: 1.2

Source: http://flightdesign.com/files/Media/The Aviation Consumer - LSA Accidents.pdf

Back