Never, ever, ask the chief counsel a question!

JimNtexas

It's always fun to read the FARs to figure out how everyone in an A380 can log PIC time. Or is it every one but the last guy in the last row by the lav?

Is there ever a situation where the Part-1 PIC can't log PIC time under Part 61? Inquiring minds with too much time on their hands want to know?

There are certainly odd corners of the LSA regulations in to which we can explore the edges of the LSA design envelopes. And we can have endless fun figuring out what conditions constitute 'known icing'. The list of fun with regs goes on and on.

These are all good questions and should be discussed by pilots.

There is one rule you really don't want to break:

Whatever you do DON'T WRITE THE FAA CHIEF COUNSEL A LETTER ASKING A QUESTION IF YOU, AND I, AND EVERY PILOT IN AMERICA CAN'T STAND THE ANSWER.

Chief counsel letters are not the stone tablets from God that some folks think they are. When you write the chief counsel realize that your letter will really be answered by a 26 year old recent law school graduate who's grades couldn't get her in to a big firm. She's never been anywhere on a airport other than the passenger terminal and the big aluminum tube.

She has every incentive to interpret the actual law in the most restrictive way imaginable.

Nobody in the government has ever been demoted for trying to increase the power of the government.

When she gives you the answer you didn't want to hear, now you have three choices:

1) Bend over, grab you ankles, and say 'please mistress may I have another'.

2) Hire your own lawyer to write the interpretation you wanted. Go to a person called a 'judge', who's is really the only person in the government with the actual authority to decide what the words actually mean. The judge isn't there to answer hypothetical questions, you'll first have to show how the FAA's incorrect reading of the law has injured you personally in some way. If you can do that, then you may ask his honor the question. His answer actually means something.

3) Disregard the letter for the obvious piece of crap that some of them are and get on with your life. Remember, the Chief Counsel letter's is one GS-12's opinion with no actual force of law at all behind it.

Just realize that if the FAA ever takes official notice of some action of yours related to the question you foolishly asked the FAA then you'll need to be ready hire a lawyer to write his/your version of the law means, and then take your lawyer's letter and their lawyer's letter to a judge, who will decide who was really correct. Real judges are the only people in our system who really have the authority to say what the words of the law mean.

From what I can see the FAA/NTSB administrative law judge system is run by graduates of the Pyongyang School of Law. So you will face an expensive route to get to a real judge if your interpretation differs from that of the FAA's lawyer.

I understand the recent pilot bill of rights may have fixed some of the more outrageous practices of the NTSB administrative law system. I hope so.

In the meantime,

Whatever you do DON'T WRITE THE FAA CHIEF COUNSEL A LETTER ASKING A QUESTION IF YOU, AND I, AND EVERY PILOT IN AMERICA CAN'T STAND THE ANSWER.

Asking the FAA legal staff a written question to which you/I/we can't stand the answer is paying Russian Roulette with 4 rounds in the chamber!

I'm not a lawyer, but I am an Enrolled Agent so I am familiar with how we get official answers to questions about tax law. These same kinds of questions come up in tax law all the time, what with the FARs being a model of simplicity and clarity compared to the tax code.

One FAR I'd like to see is for the FAA to borrow from the IRS is the concept of a 'private letter ruling'. If a person or entity feels strongly that their lawyer's interpretation of tax law is correct then they pay a fee and get to ask their question.

They get an answer from the senior IRS legal staff. This answer will be binding on whatever revenue officer is directly concerned with the taxpayer's case. If it is the answer the questioner wanted then everyone's happy, except maybe the revenue officer who had a different interpretation of the tax code.

If the IRS commissioner doesn't like the PLR then he can start a real legal process to get it overturned, or if he likes the PLR it can made into real precedent. Either way, other parties will have the chance to present their interpretations to a judge if they care to before the PLR is applied to tax payers other than the questioner.

If the private letter ruling is not the answer the questioner wanted then their next stop is Tax Court, where they only people who really can say with authority what the words of the law mean will look at the letters from both sets of lawyers and tell them what the correct answer is.

The nice thing is that a 'private letter ruling' is not precedent. They don't establish a rule for anyone but the entity that asked the question.

If the FAA had private letter rulings then that south Florida flight school that fills a 500 seat A380 with Asian and European flight students and 200 hour CFI's and wants to let everyone on the airplane log PIC could ask for a private letter ruling on their Part 61 interpretation without muddying the waters for every pilot in America.

And the question would be important enough to the asker to justify paying a fee for the answer.

Tax Court is very user friendly, in particular it is very friendly to the taxpayer with no lawyer. It is the only court I know of in which non-law school graduates can represent clients.

The tax code itself is a cosmic joke, but the Tax Court system is a model of user-friendliness. I wish we had a aviation court system that was similarly configured.

Tommy3 said:
Out of curiosity, could you all please describe what your qualifications are for commenting on an issue like this?
All citizens are expected and required to know the laws. Whether a citizen decides to seek the help of a lawyer in meeting those expectations is a different matter.

Are you all administrative lawyers? Do any of you have a law degree at all?
Not really relevant questions, as noted above. In most cases the first person who has to make a legal (or medical decision) is not "professionally" trained. It is the person affected. Everyone is their own "first responder" and needs "street smarts" to know when to call on those with better training.

To paraphrase Harry Frankfurt, one of the salient reasons that I avoid the Internet is that there is so much bull**** on it.
Nonsense. Dangerous nonsense in fact, because if people are shut up from espousing their current knowledge they might go a long time before they are informed of their erroneous knowledge and understanding.

Internet forums are actually great ways for people to learn. Things that are publicly debated make people think and see points they may not have considered. They start to learn about validating source data if they haven't already.

I suspect the problem you have is that correcting other people's misconceptions takes work. You see it, but rather than make the effort to correct it you simply snarl and give up.

denverpilot said:
Let us know when you have them all memorized.
Heh. I don't like being expected to know all the bazillion laws - I was just repeating the demands of the "legal system." We're expected to obey the laws, ergo must exercise some level of self-expertise (even when we go in search of expertise from others.) Similar to other expectations, such as being aware of official notices of construction of hyperspace express routes.

JeffDG said:
You also ignore the Administrative Policy Act (US Code) and numerous court rulings (Auer and Chevron to name two) that require the courts to give near-complete deference to FAA interpretations of the regulations, even those interpretations made after the fact, up to and including during your enforcement hearing.
I can find nothing in the Administrative Procedure Act where it states that the courts must give "near-complete deference" (or any sort of deference) to an agency's interpretation. If you could point to where that deference is stated in the statute that would help - otherwise it was always my understanding that the deference was an adopted judicial rule.

Furthermore, it isn't hard to find semi-authoritative sources that agree that agency interpretations do not carry the force of law; e.g.:
"Courts have struggled to determine whether an agency rule promulgated without the APA’s machinery should have been promulgated according to the congressionally mandated procedures for making law. In addition, there is some ambiguity regarding the level of deference that courts should give to agency pronouncements that do not carry the force of law."
http://www.bu.edu/law/central/jd/organizations/journals/bulr/documents/FRASER.pdf

I believe it was cases like Skidmore v. Swift where the courts adopted some deference, but it had to pass various court tests:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skidmore_v._Swift_&_Co.

Back