New Video on Angle of Attack Awareness Now on YouTube

old cfi

Biweekly FAA Safety Briefing News Update

Angle of Attack (AoA) devices can provide valuable information during maneuvering flight and have been identified as a mitigation strategy to prevent loss of control accidents.

Watch this video for an analysis of AoA devices in the general aviation (GA) environment. It promotes FAA policy concerning non-required/supplemental AoA based systems for GA airplanes. Use this information to make an informed, yet personal decision about what is the right choice for you. Every pilot is different, and every device has advantages and disadvantages for each individual in each aircraft type.

On YouTube:

Disclaimer: the above is all FAA wording -- got it in my Safety Briefing Update. Not selling nothin':nono:

ollopa said:
I'm curious how these AoA indicators differ from a typical stall horn. Just more precise and begin warning earlier? Are there certain scenarios or configurations for which AoA is better than eyeballs on the ASI or when the stall horn wouldn't sound?
Not sure where to start - here's a power-point document that explains why AoA indicators are superior not just for landing, but in virtually every phase of flight:

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Support/AOAsupport/AOA slides.ppt

Basically, best angle of climb, fastest climb, best lift over drag, and so on, all occur at fixed angles of attack for a specific airplane configuration. By fixed, I mean the corresponding angles do not vary with changes in weight, load, altitude, and most other variables that change the corresponding Vx, Vy, and other V speeds.

Back