No 12V start cart at KFFZ any longer

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
Went out to fly my Cardinal this morning and the battery was dead. Called the various FBOs and no 12 V start cart available anymore. I guess so many planes are going to 28V?

Put it on the charger for overnight charging. I guess I will need to get something to let me start it.

I am looking now into equipment to be able to jump start my plane when necessary. And will try and fly the Cardinal a bit more often. She has been somewhat neglected as of late given my use of the Debonair for longer flights.

Wasn't quite completely dead, just wouldn't turn it over well enough to start. One issue in this aircraft is that the clock is always draining the battery and I think it is the original clock in the aircraft with hands and always ticking the second hand around.

Wasn't quite completely dead,
Any voltage below 12v the battery is considered dead from a maintenance standpoint. And the longer it stays in a discharged state (less than 12.4v) the more permanent the sulfidation (damage) becomes.
One issue in this aircraft is that the clock is always draining the battery
FYI: The Cessna clocks are a known battery killer. I usually recommend disconnecting them or rewire through the master. Adding a proper battery minder especially in ambient temps of over 75 deg goes along way to protecting your investment when not in use.

Wasn't quite completely dead, just wouldn't turn it over well enough to start. One issue in this aircraft is that the clock is always draining the battery and I think it is the original clock in the aircraft with hands and always ticking the second hand around.
The clock in the club Aerobat is inop. While figuring how to get the plane legal for IFR I looked into replacements and found this:
http://www.fdatasystems.com/gt-50/
Typical price is about $174: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/flightdatafc50.php

According to their FAQ:
Will the GT-50 run down my battery?

The GT-50 should not be a significant drain on your battery. The latest GT-50 uses 0.0008 Amps when the backlight is off, an amount less than the normal discharge rate of a stored battery. Like a car's clock, it wont run down the battery.

Back