NorCal Meetings Eternal page

willywildes

Wanted to make a place for NorCal flyers to post where they are flying. To see if any one else wants to meet up, with out hijacking John's monthly flight page.
So with that said. I'm going to Famosa raceway in Bakersfield, for the Nostalgia drags, and swap meet.L73 Poso Kern is right next to the drag strip. Anyone else planing to go. I have not settled on a day Saturday or Sunday breakfast at Harris Ranch fuel up and on to races. No fuel at L73. Gota Fly.

kimberlyanne546 said:
Because Kimberly was chicken since the "hole" meant she had one shot at the runway with no go around.

When the hole started closing, Kimberly thought "Well I've been up here for half an hour, I think I can do this."

The other pilot had to pay a taxi over a hundred dollars to take him from the alternate airport.
Actually it was two hundred dollars total (100 each way.) Only positive was that it was a modestly scenic drive, and as a passenger I got that rare opportunity to sight-see while someone else did the driving. But not $200 scenic.

I may be flying into California tomorrow (Friday the 22nd) - but only as far down as Fort Bidwell (A28). Depends on what time I make it to Malin (4S7). Morning fog and frost may put me there too late in the day at 4S7 to make it to A28 and still refuel at Lakeview (KLKV).

Aeric said:
Fog and Frost might not be an issue, the reason is today there are some significant winds forecast. They might be diminishing that far north though. You should have nice visibility. Beautiful country up there!
Didn't depart till noon due to frost. Turns out the winds in west central Oregon were fine, as was the visibility - but I ran into significant winds near Crater Lake and south of there. Not fun turbulence and significant down and up drafts. Made for a wild ride; sometimes 1000+ fpm down and up. The only thing I could do in the downdrafts in the C-152 I rented was to fly out of it toward lowering terrain.

When I got to Malin there was a strong direct easterly crosswind on runway 32. Odd, since Klamath 17 miles NW (and a mountain range over) was reporting winds from 340. I like to think I can land in strong crosswinds, but after two attempts I decided there was no point risking a bent plane for a landing that in this case was optional, so departed for home. A more westerly route still yielded similar turbulence and up and downs, but things became silky smooth again at same latitude as Crater Lake.

At least I got myself some pictures and videos, though.

Aeric said:
Sounds like you had a decent day considering the winds. Beautiful country up there, not bad down here though...
Pics and vid?
I took about a 3 minute video as I passed Crater Lake that I need to convert and upload to Youtube or Vimeo. The attached photo was taken right after I finished the video - I had started to lose altitude. I need to sift through to find the better quality photos - none are great.

John221us said:
I logged 1.3 hours in Alaska today. I rented a 172 and we overflew the Knik Glacier and Prince William Sound. Great flight!
Pictures?
Have you got a new plane yet?

John221us said:
My plane just came out of inspection, but I can't complete the sale (of my old plane) until I get back home in a little over a week.
So you'll be planeless for a while once the sale completes?

Nice pictures, by the way. We only ever had the chance to take a tour boat of that area years ago.

Back