Not the usual ForeFlight vs Garmin Pilot Thread

Deelee

There are enough GP vs FF threads out there and I have been on this forum long enough to know the answer to this question is going to be - "Buy the high-wing Bonanza with the A20s" - but I'll put this scenario out there anyway:

The situation - The subject is is a Garmin Pilot user who has been a subscriber for several years. He likes the way it integrates with his rental aircraft's GDL 88 for traffic and weather situational awareness. He likes the VFR charts for day-to-day XCs. Likes the flight plan transfer via FlightStream 210. He also likes the geo-referenced approach plates - they really help with his instrument training.

Now our subject and a partner are purchasing an aircraft with no FlightStream and no GDL-88, but instead will come with a Stratus with antenna and power connections in a cutout in the panel (very neat-o). Since Garmin Pilot does not like Stratus (or anything other than Garmin devices for ADS-B/FIS) Our poor pilot will no longer have access to traffic and weather on his iPad. He will no be able to follow any magenta lines on his EFB since his iPad doesn't have a GPS...

If you were in this poor soul's shoes, what would you do?

Would you - Continue to use Garmin Pilot and purchase a GDL-50 portable ADS-B/GPS used for $600 and go on with life as you did before or...

Would you - Purchase ForeFlight ProPlus (need those GeoReferenced charts) and hook up to the Stratus for ADS-B/FIS/GPS/(I think synth vision too??) for $50 more per year?

Easy math says that it would take 12 years for the GDL-50 to match the additional $50 per year switching to ForeFlight.

Anybody go through this? My gut says to make the switch and just use the Stratus and start using FF instead of buying another device to put on the glare shield. Anybody think otherwise?....

Deelee said:
The new plane has a cutout I think where an ADF used to be that has power and an antenna connection for the stratus that is coming with the plane.]
Wait... you’re flying without an ADF?? The horror.

Back