Other FAA medical FAQs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
There are many questions that are commonly asked about obtaining an FAA medical certficate. The Applying for a FAA medical certificate thread provides a general overview of the process. This page attempts to provide answers to some of the more frequent questions about the process.

Do I have to report all past medications I have taken?

No. Question 17a on FAA Form 8500-8 asks about current medications only, not past usage.

Do I have to report non-prescription medications I am taking?

Basically yes. If you consider what you are taking a medication, and particularly if it is being taken for a chronic condition, it should be reported on Question 17a of FAA Form 8500-8. Also see the AME examiners guide discussion of pharmaceuticals at Therapeutic Medications.

Should I report counseling I have had?

If the counseling was related to personal substance abuse or a psychiatric condition, then yes. Otherwise no. Further guidance in answering this question is available in the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners.

What happens if I lie on the medical application?

This page does not make concrete suggestions on how to best respond to a coercive government regulatory agency demanding to know personal medical details. However, it is important to realize that there are severe potential penalties for knowingly making false statements on this form.

Firstly, it is a Federal felony crime to do so (18 USC 1001, 18 USC 3571). People have not often been convicted of doing this but there have been cases where the Federal government prosecuted pilots who were also collecting Federal disability and had failed to disclose these conditions on the form.

Secondly, the FAA can and will likely take civil action against any pilot having made a false statement on a medical application including revocation of all certificates (FAR 67.403).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back