Petition to save Great Barrington (KGBR) - a cool place to fly

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps consider signing? From a fellow Cardinal owner -

Well, it seems like it’s time to add my local airport (KGBR) to the list of endangered GA airports in the US. It’s a beautiful little 2500’ strip, nestled in the southwestern corner of Massachusetts. Privately-owned, home to an excellent maintenance shop and flight school, but most importantly a really special barnstorming community.

Sadly, it’s now under attack. A couple with deep pockets, who bought a home (not a full-time residence) near the airport, are now pushing to have it shut down. Praying on relatively shallow-pocketed town and airport, they’re pushing to eliminate the airport’s right to exist, or at the very least, roll back the airport’s operational scale to that of what it was in the early 1930s (when zoning was enacted locally).

Their fight will be somewhat nullified, however, if the airport is granted a Special Permit to operate by the town. (Currently, it has a pre-existing/non-conforming status).

In this David & Goliath situation, I’m part of a small group helping to organize community action to emphasize the airport’s importance and valued status among people, near and far. One of the things we’ve done is launch a Change.org 1 petition 39; the more signatures the better. The idea behind this is to show town government officials, just how important the airport is to so many people. The more signatures we have, the more stark the contrast will be; thousands in support, while two are driving the oppositional force.

If you’re inclined, please sign the petition below, and feel free to share. We’re also in touch with AOPA advocacy, among other strategies. Thank you!

Sign the petition: Petition · Save the Great Barrington Airport · Change.org 39

More information: http://savethegbrairport.com/

I can’t express how much I hate people like that. Buy a house they know damn well is near an airport then decide they’re going to mess with other people‘s lives and try to shut it down. Spoiled narcissistic control freaks.

I can’t express how much I hate people like that. Buy a house they know damn well is near an airport then decide they’re going to mess with other people‘s lives and try to shut it down. Spoiled narcissistic control freaks.
It is one of the problems created by zoning and public ownership of roads. Of course, if you don't have those, then you have more title covenant and home owner association disputes as well as the troubles of managing such assets when privately owned.

I suspect the latter are preferable but I don't know there are a lot of good studies on this since the zoning and public ownership evolved from the divine rights of kings.

It is one of the problems created by zoning and public ownership of roads. Of course, if you don't have those, then you have more title covenant and home owner association disputes as well as the troubles of managing such assets when privately owned.

I suspect the latter are preferable but I don't know there are a lot of good studies on this since the zoning and public ownership evolved from the divine rights of kings.
Solution: In the interest of national security because GA and private strips encourage young pilots needed for the air transportation system, make it a requirement that all real estate transactions in the vicinity of an airstrip include having the buyer sign a document acknowledging they’re buying near an air field and waiving all rights to ever petition or complain or take any action to obstruct or shut down the air field and that violating that agreement is a federal offense with fines and jail time and gets you put on the domestic terrorist watch list. Hey why not, if going to school board meetings gets you thereon.

Back