Phoenix Valley experience and help

aterry1067

Oh Geesss...not another "What airplane for me" thread!!!!

Howdy folks. I am currently getting my PPL cert and looking forward to my first airplane purchase. I'm training in a 172, as most everyone else has done, and while it's a fine airplane for training, I find that it just isn't quite wide enough for my......girth.

Thus, I am currently looking to experience several different aircraft. The two airplanes that have garnered the most interest are the 177 Cardinal and the Commander. Those two appear to be well known for their cabin comfort, and that is the part that is of utmost importance to me. I am happy to sacrifice a few knots cruise speed for comfort, and a pilot side door. That said, I could deal with a single door if I got a ridiculous deal on something, but if I am buying what I want, then I am going to have a pilot side door.

So I am looking for some help here, in experience and knowledge, both of which the site seems to have an abundance. If anyone is in the Phoenix valley that has a Commanche, Socata TB-10, 20, or 21, Cardinal, Commander, Archer, 182, Arrow, etc etc etc, I'd be happy if you'd let me come out and poke around your airplane...look at it, feel of it, smell of it, and I'd be more than happy to fill the tanks for a few flights around the flag pole if you're up for that (you as PIC of course....).

My ultimate goal is to build an RV-9, 10 or 14 to my specs. But for now I need something with "economy size" seats and cabin to fit my "economy size" a$$.

Any and all help, advice, comments, opinions, and tribal knowledge is greatly appreciated. Please bear with me in my time of newbness, until I can become an official pilot and gain all the knowledge of an official old-timer.

Thanks and Cheers.

I have a Cardinal and heartily endorse them for this sort of mission. It is based at KFFZ and I am happy to take you for $100 hamburger run or just have you come by for a look. Just PM me.

Alternately you could join Cardinal Flyers Organization and look in the member directory or ask in the online forum as I believe there are several based at KDVT.

Also of note for the new people here, we are tentatively planning a fly-in breakfast meetup at Marana (KAVQ) for Friday, Dec. 18, arrivals starting at 10:30 AM. I will start a separate thread also about 2 weeks before.

Rgbeard said:
My secret: the Cardinal is on my list of planes that I would love to fly in at least once.. RG or not, I simply want to experience one. I think they’re great looking.
Well, of course you can come out and have a ride in mine. If you want, you can fly down to Marana with me.

Back