Pipistrel Virus

supernovae

Anyone have any first hand experience and are any of these flying in the US of A?

The specs seem simply astounding and fun to fly.. Feathering prop, insane glide ratio (soaring capable), sips fuel, maintains decent performance and add in a chute, i'm not sure there is a safer more capable 2 seat plane available.

Just seems the process of landing is interesting with the spoiler approach

Geico266 said:
If I remember right, Sinus & Virus are precision measurements of sound and/ or electical waves. ;)
Aviation Consumer has a review of the Pipistrel Virus SW in the May 2012 issue. (Need to be a subscriber to see the whole article.) With regard to the names, they say:
"And by the way, the airplane’s name derives not from some obscure Slovenian word that the company didn’t realize had an unintended translation. It’s quite intentional and a bit of an inside joke. When it began to find success with its airplanes, the Pipistrel staff would joke that would-be customers came back enthusiastically impressed after test flights and had thus caught the Pipistrel virus. The name stuck."
With regard to why they seem a bit scarce even though the company appears solid and the airplane has some good performance, the article explains:
"Although it’s gained a higher profile through the NASA challenges, Pipistrel hasn’t enjoyed wide sales success in the U.S. According to Ivo Boscarol, the company’s voluble and energetic founder, this is because Slovenia, where the aircraft are manufactured, lost its bilateral export agreements with the U.S. when the former Yugoslavia dissolved in 1991. Although the European Union countries do have these agreements, Slovenia joined the EU after they were negotiated, leaving the country—and Pipistrel*—in a regulatory no-man’s land. “We will address this by opening a factory in Italy,” Boscarol told us. For now, the airplanes are manufactured in Ajdovscina, Slovenia, about 20 miles northeast of the Italian city of Trieste. The new factory is expected to be operating sometime in 2015. In the meantime, it is possible to buy a Pipistrel through a third-party arrangement handled through Australia. Contact Pipistrel USA at www.pipistrel-usa.com or 213-984-1237 for the details."

This appears to be the video version of the above article, though of course the article includes more detail:

Some points noted from the print article and video:
40 to 44 nmpg at 142 kts to 120 kts.
Cantilevered high wing.
Available with a tail wheel (8 kts faster in cruise.)
Allegedly available with 65 gallon tanks for a range well over 2000 miles (if you can last that many hours.)

But a small cabin - so a tight squeeze.

Geico266 said:
Absolute nonsense. It is pronounced "veer us" , not virus. I did work for the company. Never heard it called something you catch, in fact the owner would get insulted. Sounds Luke a bit of PR crapola to me. :mad2:
You may be right because I vaguely remember reading a similar story to yours about the origin of the Virus and Sinus names. The story related to the AvWeb/Aviation Consumer guys may be a bit of historical revisionism; not really sure.

Back