Please help! I graciously ask for this community to consider me as a brother who is asking for help!

Today I got the dreadful letter denying me medical. Even after I provided a current psych eval, current substance abuse eval and everything that was asked of me. They sent me a letter stating because of the use 10+ years ago that I don’t qualify and want me to do so much more for this dream. I don’t want to give up. This is worth fighting for. I have done so much to change my life around and believe in myself. A lot of people have told me to reach out to Dr. Chien. So I’m here asking for help. I believe that I’m worth it and will work so hard to show it. I will not be a worthless cause. Dr. Chien if your listening. I really need help as this is something I truly believe in and want to be apart of and will do everything asked of me. Please help. I’m graciously pleading for it.

The HIMS process will cost about $3-5K over several years. I believe it is 1, 3, or 5 years depending on how they view your prior addiction. Dr. Chien will cost about $300 and is definitely the best first investment, or some of the others like him if he doesn’t want to take your case.

As others have noted, becoming a professional pilot is a multi-year process. Keep up the good work and the long view in mind. This will take some time but will be an outstanding accomplishment.

Tyrease Phillips said:
Also if I may ask, so the years in the program you will not have any medical for that period until you complete the HIMS program correct?
That is correct, you will not have a medical until the HIMS program is successfully completed, a new medical application has been submitted, and a special issuance provided by the FAA. Thus you cannot solo a single engine land aircraft until that time. Likely minimum of 1.5 years from now and possible 5.5 years from now. All depends on the evaluation of your prior substance abuse issues.

FYI, the HIMS program will involve random drug screening, multiple psychiatric evaluations, and verified attendance multiple times per week at AA or the equivalent.

Keep the long run in view.

RyanB said:
Second, I read in a prior thread of yours that you’ve never even been in a real airplane. How do you know that you’ll like it?
I think it was suggested in the other thread to do a discovery flight. I would agree for this situation since Tyrease has no experience in actual flying. It does not require a medical.

Really important I think to get some experience in an actual small plane since some people love it. Others dislike it intensely. It is a personal thing and hard to judge without actually getting in the plane.

A discovery flight at a school will cost about $200 which may be a bit much while waiting to start school, so a few other ideas for getting in the air.

Perhaps some member in the Seattle area will decide to do a $100 hamburger run with the OP?

Failing that, I would suggest checking out the Experimental Aircraft Association. They have the Young Eagles program. While that is aimed at children, I have known some adults who received a first introductory flight that way.

The EAA also has the VMC club which tends to meet once a month. This would be a good way to meet people in the local GA community and start learning about flying and some of the safety issues. The school may also have a local EAA chapter which would be a natural fit.

As to the wisdom of borrowing a lot of money to go to school. This will definitely lock up one’s choices. Hard to comment on in this age, since the Federal government’s massive loan programs have simultaneously made the cost of education skyrocket while also making it possible to borrow large portions of a million dollars. Very difficult to work your way through school anymore at the current prices. But be cautious and aware. Starting in a community college is likely a smart way to minimize costs.

redtail said:
I drove home questioning whether I would or should continue another lesson. Fortunately for me, that thought of quitting didn't last long, because this is something I have wanted since I was an infant, looking up at airplanes flying over our apartment, landing and departing from EWR.
This whole post was interesting, about important life lessons, and said in a spirit of compassion for the OP. Very good.

The second one is a strange campaign. Tyrease himself and one other person donated $5 each to the campaign to in some way vaguely fight addiction and homelessness.

CC268 said:
Maybe the brother thing is legit
Well, there is a 39 year old apparent brother, Jarvis Laumont Phillips. A sample of his criminal record:
Sex Offend/Fln Failure to Reg | Theft 3 Nov 2013
Other Felony, Robbery 1, Possess Stolen Property Aug 1998
Possess Stolen Property 1st Deg Feb 2007
Child Molestation 1st Degree Aug 1998
Assault in The Second Degree May 1999

For Tyrease himself (who is 3 years older than his brother), a sample of the apparent criminal record, in addition to that noted previously in this thread:
Theft 3 | Assault 4th Degree July 2007
Assault 4th Degree Jan 1999
Criminal Trespass - 2nd Degree | Disorderly Conduct Jan 2000
Forgery Dec 1999

Back