Pushover from Pattern Altitude

In the C-172, the technique that I've been taught and strive for consistency with in the pattern to descend to land is:
Abeam the threshold, power to 1500, carb heat on, pull yoke to maintain traffic pattern altitude and slow to 80kts, 10 degrees of flaps, push over to maintain 80 until downwind to base turn point.

It never much occurred to me that this abrupt decrease in G-Force is uncomfortable to a passenger until it was pointed out to me. How can I make this smoother and more comfortable?

nosehair said:
Here, I would suggest a small, but critical, change in procedure: Carb Heat On, wait a few seconds to check for carb ice, then power back.Here, it sounds like you are holding back pressure til a/s reaches 80, THEN putting down 10 flaps, which will force a sudden pushhover (with slight neg G) to maintain 80. Apply the flaps immediately after power back to aid in slowing and ease the nose down if necessary as the speed approaches 80. There should be no sudden pitch changes if you can avoid it.
Shouldn't he at least insure speed is in the white arc before adding flaps, rather than immediately?

Also, I was taught to put in trim right reducing power - in the C-152 I train in, after setting power to 1500 RPM, three down strokes on the trim wheel (of as much of the trim arc as exposed as possible) gets one close to the desired trim.

Jaybird180 said:
Dangit:thumbsup:

During landing I forget the trim wheel is even there. Probably would work better if I used it tho
Trim is your friend! :wink2:

Amazing how much it can improve your airspeed control (at least it does for me.) Since you (and I) are taught to reduce power to the same RPM, the same trim each time will yield the same hands-off trimmed airspeed. Find out what the magic number of down-strokes are needed on your 172's trim wheel to put you at the desired airspeed and use that amount each time. Adjust as needed.

Back