Ramp Check

BillTIZ

Easy

Standing by the glider with a "student", an ATP, former Glider CFI about 15 yrs out of gliders getting recurrent, and another CFIG.

Get a radio call from our tow pilot on the other side of the airport, a visitor is on the way over. Hmm.. Maybe an intro ride to give? No, it's the FSDO on a ramp check.

So introductions, names, drop the "I'm a FAASTeam Lead Rep working with, xx, and he says, great as a FAASTeam member, I'm sure everything is in order, "who's the PIC?", well, as the IP that would be me. So he asks for my certificate, sees me digging it out of my wallet and justs ask me to read the number to him.

I mention it would take a screw driver to retrieve the glider paperwork behind the clear plastic. He looks at the airworthy in the plastic and says that's good. This particular glider, no POH required in the aircraft and I provide some instruction as to why and show the required placards in place as required by the TCDS. He notes the N-number and closes his notebook.

A little chat about the airport, training plans and he sees a helo land and head to the fuel pumps. He says so long as he heads for the helo.

And he mentioned he gets a double bonus check for finding a FAASTeam member in action at the airport working with two instructors.

Neither the student CFI or other CFI had seen a ramp check nor knew what to expect. Maybe I should run some mock ramp checks in the flying club.

So easy indeed that I wonder what the point was?
Did anything get checked that typically appears in an NTSB accident report probable cause?

Back