Regrets on not buying or building an experimental airplane

Jim Logajan

Administrator
Staff member
There is a uAvionix AV-30 in the 1956 C-172 I bought in February which I lease to a flying club I started. The AV-30 can be switched between AI or DG modes. The DG mode really needs an external magnetometer to be useful since the drift is quite high. The software needs updating, too.
So I recently bought:
  • An external magnetometer (AV-Mag).
  • A Wifi adapter (AV-Link) that allows the AV-30 software to be easily updated. It also accepts ADS-B traffic input over Wifi. Also enables a new mode to depict the traffic: MFD in addition to AI and DG.
  • A wingtip nav light that contains a combo Wifi access point and ADS-B In receiver (Skysensor). It can feed traffic info to the above-mentioned AV-Link, thence to the AV-30. And weather and GPS position to a pilot's tablet computer or smart phone.
  • An OAT probe so that the AV-30 can compute and display true airspeed and density altitude.
I've carefully studied all the install docs a few times. I concluded:
Installing and configuring the AV-Link is relatively straightforward. Almost plug-and-play.
Updating the AV-30 software and post-update config/verification is also relatively straightforward.
Installing and configuring the Skysensor is similarly straightforward - with the exception of needing to remove the old light fixture and attach the wiring to the new fixture via a detachable connector.
Only the OAT and magnetometer require any new wiring and extra steps. None beyond my modest abilities, I think.
Only a couple special tools (e.g. torque screwdriver - optional) which I have or can acquire. But I cannot legally do any of these things of course.

So - after several a couple months of trying I am unable to find an A&P to do the work on any of these tasks. There were four in the Dakotas who said they could do the work but they are backed up and couldn't schedule anything for months. Importantly, none were in a position to provide even an estimate on when they could do the work. The best one offered sometime after Thanksgiving. I may end up taking him up on that.

It does not help that the A&Ps I try contacting rarely return phone messages or emails. I still stupidly leave messages but henceforth I will not bother. I'll call back until a human answers. Some, upon hearing the word "avionics" immediately opted out without inquiring more deeply into the actual requirements of the tasks. When I need an annual they would be happy to do that work.

I had plans to dump a bunch of money into the plane next year to make it IFR capable but it is becoming clear that there is no one I can think who could do it in the next six to nine months. At least not within a day's flight from KRAP. So probably scrap that idea.

I do not care to feel this helpless, and I had originally suggested the flying club consider an experimental but two of the four members at the time would not fly such planes. I now really regret not buying an experimental. I should have purchased an inexpensive plane like a CH-601 to get my fix in and not bothered with a flying club. Even better to build my own to avoid all dependencies.

Maybe I'll feel better in the morning and regret this post but at the moment I'm pretty damn frustrated.

So - after several a couple months of trying I am unable to find an A&P to do the work on any of these tasks.
Unfortunately, this is an increasing scenario in some locations of where the private GA market has been going for the past 25 years. And it will only get worse as the younger generations on the maintenance side are not pursuing this specific market as a career. However, I wouldn’t throw in the towel yet as you may have other routes to take depending how MOSAIC is finalized. And your 172 just may fit into it. There is also Experimental/Exhibition to look at but I don’t know how that would affect your flying club.

Some, upon hearing the word "avionics" immediately opted out without inquiring more deeply into the actual requirements of the tasks. When I need an annual they would be happy to do that work.
Perhaps some context. Avionics and sheetmetal work are two types of work that have separate requirements than most other mx work performed. Mainly, its special tooling, space, and most important time. Outside of a simple installation or repair, the majority of avionics or S/M tends to be “open-ended” for lack of a better term. Another issue is it can be difficult to quote the cost for such work as it heavily depends on the condition of the aircraft and its current configuration. So even though the work may look "simple" to comply with, there are other parameters that will affect the outcome which a number of shops prefer not to deal with.

For example, if a mechanic or shop does 24 annuals a year, sliding your 172 into the schedule for the work you described could easily cause a disruption in the workflow. And a disruption could mean cancelling or delaying their core annual work. This is the main reason a number of shops decline this type of work and not the work itself. This is also one of the reasons you will find shops that do offer avionics or S/M work tend to specialize in that work and usually have the longest wait times as this work type tends run long especially when dealing with older aircraft models. That said, another possible option could be if you offer to keep the aircraft in your hangar for this work, maybe you can alter your inquiries to find a mechanic who will travel or even owner-assist your installations?

Back