Rental etiquette

ChrisRikli

Today I decided to go up for a bit so I got online and reserved a plane for 11:00AM. There was a preceding reservation of plane and instructor from 9:00-11:00AM.

I get out there, plane isn't there yet. At about 15 after the plane rolls up, so I walk out. The student and instructor sat there for 10 minutes, likely doing a debriefing. I didn't want to be rude or intrude, but I wanted to get an XC in and I had to have the plane back by 1:00PM for the next pilot. So when the clock hit 11:30AM I asked the instructor if he minded me doing my external preflight, fuel sumps, oil, etc.

Finally at 11:35AM they get out of the plane, but the CFI acted a little put out with me.

So what's the etiquette here? From my perspective they kinda rude and inconsiderate, but I'm new to flying and renting so I may just not know the score.

Speaking of rental etiquette, I have a question regarding renting a plane to actually travel cross country for a day or more. (Haven't done that yet myself, so maybe the rules are different.)

If the renter is expected to have the plane back at the end of the block of time they booked, is it still a breach of etiquette (or even the rental agreement) to not have the plane back if the weather turns sour making the return date and time dangerous or impossible? Or are rentals scheduled and treated differently if they are overnight or longer?

Back