Route from Lake Havasu to Western Texas

Lndwarrior

Planning a trip, a portion of which will begin at Lake Havasu and I need to get to western Texas. Completely unfamiliar with any part of this. I'm flying a light sport plane VFR. There is a lot of mountains and high terrain to get thru.

I have a strong desire to land at Sedona because I've never been there. If so, it looks like highway 40 to Albuquerque and then pick up Hwy 60 across to Vaughn and then pickup Hwy 285 down to Roswell and onward seems logical. However, I would like to hear opinions on this route.

If I drop the requirement to go via Sedona, it seems a southern route via Tucson and Hwy 10 would have me flying a shorter distance of high terrain.

One last data point. This is a once in a lifetime experience for me. Enjoying the view, interesting airports and taking my time is a part of this equation.

I appreciate any thoughts on these routes and/or any other suggestions for flying this area.

TIA
Gary

Agree with the others above about going to Sedona and then the safer route down to Tucson along the I-10 being the more conservative and less remote.

Also note that there is a VFR transition route through the Phoenix bravo that you can use.

You can fly south along the I-17 from south of Sedona to minimize the risk of the area near Black Canyon City with limited land-able terrain.

Also note that Cottonwood, near Sedona, has much better fuel prices.

Definitely land at Sedona, even if you want to get fuel elsewhere. And perhaps catch breakfast or lunch at the on field restaurant - one of the better ones in AZ.

Perhaps search for prior threads for the beta on landing on aircraft carrier Sedona.

Back