RV-9A vs CH-650

eMKay

I'm contemplating building my own, and I know these two models are pretty different, but when you look at the numbers, they aren't (unless the CH-650 is using the "sport pilot" prop, which mine won't). One is classified as a light sport and one is not. But they both can be powered by the same engine, and have similar useful load. The RV-9 can be powered by a larger engine if I want but I was thinking of using an O-235, maybe a sparrowhawk 125hp. With this engine they both have similar performance numbers.

Why not an RV12? I love it, but you gotta use the Rotax, nothing wrong with it, just that I'm going to use this for a lot of cross country at gross, want a little extra speed.

Now, since I want a small cross country plane, flying in IMC, does the heavier RV-9 make a little more sense? A 750lb plane seems pretty light, it's 9.85psf wing loading vs. 13. is that a large difference? Also the build quality will be higher (solid rivets vs blind pop rivets) and resale probably higher as well. I'm really just in the gathering info mode right now. Are there any other planes similar to the RV-9? I know of a whole bunch similar to the CH-650 and RV-12, they're all light sports and I'm not a light sport pilot. Just seems that all the planes that appeal to me fall into that category.

RV-9A $22,030
CH-650 $18,500 +$1000 in options standard on the RV-9

Since I'm planning the same engine and avionics the finished planes would be pretty close in cost, that makes me lean toward the RV-9, but the CH-650 is IMHO better looking, has better visibility, and is easier to build.

Are there any other planes similar to the RV-9? I know of a whole bunch similar to the CH-650 and RV-12, they're all light sports and I'm not a light sport pilot. Just seems that all the planes that appeal to me fall into that category.

RV-9A $22,030
CH-650 $18,500 +$1000 in options standard on the RV-9

Since I'm planning the same engine and avionics the finished planes would be pretty close in cost, that makes me lean toward the RV-9, but the CH-650 is IMHO better looking, has better visibility, and is easier to build.
The non-LSA version of the Arion Lightning is similar enough in specs to the RV-9 when similarly powered that it might be worth a look: http://www.flylightning.net/lightning-esp.html

You will pay more for the Lightning kit (comparable in price to the RV-9 quick-build kit,) but it appears that builders are completing them in time frames that don't stretch into years (sometimes in just months or even weeks, if done at their site.)

Since the engine, avionics, and miscellaneous items are going to be about 2/3rds of the cost, saving a couple thousand on a $60k to $70k project is probably not a strong decision factor.

Back