Sad day in Jackson Hole

N801BH

On my way to the airport this afternoon I saw a RV-7 taking off.. Looked like a good departure. I get to the security gate and as I get out, it passes over with a sick sounding motor. About that time the emergency siren sounds to get the fire trucks rolling... I keep watching, hoping he would do a 180 and land back on the runway as he had plenty of altitude.........

He keeps going on the downwind leg and I keep saying to my self, turn back, turn back. Well about 1/2 mile out he tries to turn back, overbanked it and dove STRAIGHT into the ground...... I hauled *** to the scene to see if I could help and being the first person there I witnessed the most horrific sight I have EVER seen.........:sad::sad:

Guys/ gals.. if the motor fails , either get it on the runway or land straight ahead......

PLEASE, PLEASE.... don't stall a plane at 500 AGL...

Godspeed to the couple in N820RV...... It was a beautiful plane too..

I now need a VERY stiff drink...

rwhenderson said:
Have you talked to NTSB?
He has indeed talked to them - I assume the number of posts to this thread obscured that fact.

Oh - and welcome to PoA! I assume by your display name of 56s that you fly out of Seaside Oregon? I fly out of Creswell Oregon.

LoneAspen said:
I read through the report, and although granted most of it is Greek to me, I didn't read anything that definitely pointed out "what caused it."

Did I miss something buried in there? What did you find that broke?
Likely some confusion over what Ben is referring to. At the risk of adding to the confusion:

Ben is saying he believes he knows what caused the RV-7 crash that he witnessed; but the NTSB report he linked to is for a different crash - a Lancair. The only reason he linked to that report was to showcase the thoroughness of the investigator who wrote it because she was also assigned to the RV-7 crash investigation.

Back