&*#% security TFR

wsuffa

The No Fly zone encompasses HEF by less than a runway length. HEF is already in the SFRA. You think they could make a cutout exception? Nooooo, apparently they can't. Instead, they'd rather shut down the airport and kill commerce at one of the few GA fields near DC. On a SATURDAY. :mad::mad::mad:

LINK

Velocity173 said:
I do believe that some sort of TFR is warranted though.
VIP TFRs are never warranted. The people who are thought to be very important in western democratic governments never really are. History suggests a different view:

When FDR died in office during the largest war in modern history, did it affect the security of the U.S. in any measurable way?

When Kennedy was killed during the cold war, did it affect the security of the U.S. in any measurable way?

Except for the abruptness and terrible human loss, is there any difference to the security of the U.S. whether a president is removed from office by death or by losing a reelection?

The Secret Service should be made to perform its security functions within the confines of the rule that every citizen going about their lawful business has an equal right to public commons, and that the president is just another citizen within that commons.

Of course I know that it would easier to move a mountain than to see any of what I wrote ever become remotely close to reality.

Velocity173 said:
By your comments you suggest that the President isn't important, almost a figure head? He can easily be replaced. Well I won't go into politics but not enacting security measures for VIPs will never happen. .
Nowhere did I say the Secret Service couldn't enact security measures.

Example: I flew Gen McChrystal around in Afghanistan. Everywhere he went he rolled in heavy with security. The argument would be, well a common soldier doesn't have this protection why does he? Problem is he isn't as easy to replace as a common soldier. This is why the POTUS had such a dilemma when replacing him. That person has built a foundation and only they have innate knowledge of the situation. Once again if you believe the President can easily be replaced or that his asassination would have no effect on the psyche of the American people or those who protect him, so be it. Your opinion.
The U.S. is not a war zone, it is not an occupied foreign land, and U.S. citizens are not enemy combatants. The relationship between a commanding officer and his troops is not the same relationship that exists between a politician and his constituency. So there is simply nothing useful in your analogy. Nothing.

I suppose in fact one could be insulted that you equate U.S. citizens with potential and real enemies.

By the way - when generals travel around the U.S., do they get VIP TFRs?

As Three Finger Jack brought up earlier this is nothing more than people complaining because it affects their precious freedoms. Is a TFR really affecting our freedoms that much that I can't wait a day out of 365 of not flying. If a flight school can't wait a day or two of not flying because they'll possibly fold well then I'd say they were on the way to bankruptcy long before that TFR came. When it comes down to it it's all about us being willing to sacrifice a little freedom for a common good.
Yes our freedoms are precious and now they are under attack by people like yourself. It sounds like because you risked your life for those freedoms you feel you now get to dismiss them.

Again - a politician's life should not be equated to the "common good". It is exasperating to see that fallacy occur in one despotic country after another, century after century.

What I'm getting at is if we expect the public to deal with aviation every now and then, than why can't we deal with the public affecting aviation every now and then?
A VIP isn't "the public". These are singular individuals that are affecting the public, in the case of TFRs they affect hundreds of individuals at a time.

Back