SFO alternatives??

N747JB

We're going to San Francisco in July, I'd love to take some extra time and fly out with the family. Any good alternatives to SFO that are GA friendly?
I'll probably end up on Delta, but just in case, I'd like to figure out what's close to the city. ;)

Think I'll piggy back on this thread rather than start my own, since the OP appears to be done with it (I think.) :D

So - I have some business that requires my presence in Scotts Valley, CA from June 16 to 18. My plan: if the 7 day forecast on the 13th doesn't look good for flying myself, I'll purchase a commercial ticket to fly from Eugene, OR (KEUG) or Portland (PDX) to San Jose (SJC) on June 15 and return the 19.

Otherwise I'll try to fly myself from 77S to either KWVI or RHV on the same dates. Those two appear to be the best options that have rental cars and aren't too far from Scotts Valley.

The only quandary I have is whether I should remove KWVI (slightly preferred) from my list of possible destinations since even if I have no problem getting into it on the afternoon of the 15th, fog may prevent or delay a departure till afternoon from it on the 19th. I would expect a lot less unpredictability in any forecast for RHV. But it is a longer drive to Scotts Valley. I have no experience flying into any of the airports in the Monterey or San Fransisco bay areas. We lived for 6 years in Aptos, so I'm somewhat familiar with fogalongthecoast and that it normally cleared by noon where we lived, but just unpredictable enough there that I have no idea about when/if KWVI would clear.

Any reasonable alternative airports I should consider besides KWVI and RHV?

Palmpilot said:
I don't remember whether you are IFR-qualified. If you are not, then you should not count on departing from WVI in the morning. RHV is a much better bet in that regard, though still not guaranteed.
VFR only.

John221us said:
If traffic is light, RHV is a little less than an hours drive. Nice Air is a great FBO and half the time they pull the rental car right up to the plane for you. They have their own cars (Corollas) and their pricing is good for both gas and rental car.
dans2992 said:
The owner of Nice Air was very accommodating when we were there.
Thanks for the FBO suggestion - it answers the next question I would have asked!

John221us said:
If traffic is light, RHV is a little less than an hours drive. Nice Air is a great FBO and half the time they pull the rental car right up to the plane for you. They have their own cars (Corollas) and their pricing is good for both gas and rental car.
dans2992 said:
The owner of Nice Air was very accommodating when we were there.
Just FYI: I flew into RHV on Sunday and got a rental car and fuel from Nice Air. They were indeed nice and very helpful. Just flew home today. I appreciate the recommendation.

Back