Student pilot (?) flying medical supplies

Wheels said:
Especially since he allowed this to be publicized, does he now have to worry about the FAA investigating him for carrying property for compensation as a student pilot?
I also wondered about him doing this as a student pilot. Clearly not business good will be obtained however.

I don't think this is cost-effective really at all. The biggest contribution in some sense was probably the father gathering up the supplies in this time of shortage. OTOH, if he was going to be flying cross-countries to accumulate the training and the time, nice to donate it to help a cause.

Brad Z said:
No mention of his pilot certification status, but if he was flying with an instructor he was technically making things worse.
Did say he was 16. So likely a student pilot. I assumed he was doing this as solo cross-country, but why worse with an instructor?

kgruber said:
He is making deliveries...............that is a business, USPS, UPS, FEDEX stc!! Not legal
Usually some looseness in interpretation of the regulations. What does the recent advisory circular on compensation say?

That said, I would be quite surprised to see the FAA try to hit his instructor with a disciplinary action.

Back