The Plight of a Poor Wannabe (an introduction)

Michael25

So as the title of this topic suggests, I am a dirt poor, wannabe pilot. My name is Michael. I am 25 years old, and have a pretty crappy part time job working in a toll booth. I have a bunch of college credits (in english literature and piano performance), but have no degree. I currently and quite literally live in my parents basement. I fly about once a week depending on the weather and my CFI's availability and have 15.9 hours pre solo. I have aspirations of making this a career. Sometimes I ask myself if I am behind in life and why I am not out on my own living in some dank studio apartment choking down ramen noodles every night like some of my friends. I don't think I'd be happy doing that though. I refuse to settle for that. I don't want to end up as some 50 something wondering why I wasted my life trying to improve its standard by pursuing money. I want to do something fun with my life and not some mundane, living day to day to pay the bills existence. Just the thought of it depresses me. So I trudge through the days looking up, yearning to one day be one of the over worked, underpaid, professional pilots. Am I crazy? Probably. It's a pleasure to meet you.

Michael25 said:
Harsh, but maybe you're right and I'm dreaming too big. I do need to finish some sort of degree and fully intend on doing so. Most likely not in the previously selected fields because I came to the conclusion that they were a big waste of time that I am still paying for.
What other fields appeal to you?

By "dirt poor" do you mean your net worth is simply zero or just barely above zero, in the red a couple thousand, or in the red tens of thousands?

I don't want to make flying another unfinished thing collecting dust in the corner though.
Don't worry about not finishing things. If you do, you may then convince yourself to finish pointless or dead-end endeavors. Or worse - you'll not start anything new based on the fear it will be one more thing you will not finish. Flying appeals to you, so you can always come back to it later. In fact you can always return and complete all the other things you've mentioned later in life.

As to staying with your parents: actually not a bad plan. Crimps your social life at that age (ask me how I know ;)), but makes good fiscal sense. Besides, it jibes with Rodney Dangerfield's advise:

Back