Unanticipated ramp/handling fees

Dave Siciliano

On the way to sim training in Orlando today, I stopped at KBKV to drop a friend. I've done this many years. I usually fill up on the way back to Dallas, but today I was informed if I didn't purchase 65 gallons of fuel right then, there would be a ramp charge of $65. When I asked if I could do that Monday on the way home, I was told no, I had to purchase fuel then or pay the ramp fee. I was caught completely off guard. Normally, on the return flight, I purchase 150 to 200 gallons, but that won't happen this trip. I'm very disappointed with their short sightedness. No need to stop here if it weren't for my friend wanting to visit. Guess I'll just fly past in the future.

Checked Airnav before going. No mention of fees for American Aviation there. There needs to be some reasonable manner in which we can determine costs without having to call every FBO where we may stop in advance.
Best,

Dave

Checked Airnav before going. No mention of fees for American Aviation there.
Even if you had done due diligence and located the web site for the airport you'd have found this:

http://www.flybkv.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=21&Itemid=50

No Landing Fees No Short Term Parking Fees No Hassles
On the other hand, where it is easily overlooked, parking and tiedown fees are mentioned in the AOPA Airport page for this airport (just not how much, or which FBOs):

http://www.aopa.org/airports/KBKV

There needs to be some reasonable manner in which we can determine costs without having to call every FBO where we may stop in advance.
Yeah, that would be nice...

By the way, it isn't as if that FBO doesn't already have a fancy web site where they could put their service rate information; they have a web site but I could not find their service rates in a quick browse:

http://www.americanaviation.com/

My understanding is that unilateral invention of binding ad hoc contract terms isn't exactly legal. Has something to do with basic contract law.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe said:
I'm pretty sure most FBOs are making so much money they need a wheelbarrow to get it to the bank every day.
Relevance to the subject "Unanticipated ramp/handling fees"?

Everskyward said:
What do you all think is reasonable in this hypothetical situation for these airplanes? Airplane does not buy fuel and sits on the ramp for two hours.

1. Single engine piston (Bonanza)
2. Twin engine piston (Cessna 340)
3. Twin engine turboprop (King Air 200)
3. Light jet (Premier)
4. Midsize jet (Hawker 800)
5. Large jet. (Gulfstream 550)
Does it really matter if the fee schedule is not published or made easily available beforehand?

Ted DuPuis said:
I think the point was to find the variability in what the group considers "reasonable."
Um - what is the very first word in the OP's subject line?

What was the upsetting aspect that the OP identified in the very first post to this thread? Do you see anywhere in it that the OP said the fee itself was unreasonable?

My own modest view is that discussion of what is "reasonable" is best settled by the market. But it is difficult for a market to operate when information is often withheld from one of the parties. As I see it, free markets need free speech to operate, so forums like this are appropriate places to publish experiences with FBOs.

Morph the thread to your own goals if you like - that is free speech too. Just keep in mind that your point was not the intent of the OP.

Back