Vertigo

ttexrbomb

So the FAA is relentless. They are requiring an analysis from a neurotologist, despite me having no history or complaints of vertigo.

So I am set to see an ENT/Neurotologist this coming week. The doctor i am going to see has experience with aerospace medical. So I am hoping the FAA will listen to what he has to say.

I have a few questions. How do they test for vertigo absent any previous diagnosis? What kind of testing will they do? The doctor I am going to is charging $600 for the testing with the expectation he will provide a work up suitable for submission to the FAA.

I guess I am really concerned because the FAA got a referral on me from a disgruntled CFI who basically fabricated the fact that I have vertigo and it affected my flying under the hood (despite me never flying in IMC or under the hood with him). Think retaliation. So it seems that the mere accusation has the FAA really hanging onto this. I’m a CFI/CFII and I have a lot of time and money invested. And I am hoping that this can be put behind me...because I have never been diagnosed or have experienced vertigo symptoms. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201127/0d96e28ccddfbdfdf5d832032b88af43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttexrbomb said:
So my derriére is getting over there on Thursday. My question really was what tests will they do or does the FAA expect, especially absent any previous diagnosis or complaint?
Usually to measure this they will put skin electrodes on the side of your head to measure your eye movements (the retina acts like a little battery and they can detect movements this way) and they have you sit in a chair that rotates at different speeds. They then check how your eyes are making rapid movements before, during, and after rotation, normally in light and darkness.

Even after stopping rotation your eyes will continue making slow tracking and rapid correction movements (nystagmus) driven by your vestibular system.

All of this will let them see if your eye movements are “normal” or not.

Here is a more detailed description - https://vestibular.org/sites/defaul...agnostic Tests for Vestibular Disorders_0.pdf

Back