Vitamin D Deficiency and other Medical Topics

SkyHog

I went to the doctor for a much needed checkup, and he decided I needed a BUNCH of tests. Pooped in a tube, peed in a jar, bleed in a vial, and got some shots.

Met again with the doc today and got the following results (just the bad stuff):

Fasting Glucose: 100 (reference 70-99) - only a point high....
Cholesterol: 235H (Reference 0-200)
Triglycerides: 233H (Reference <=149)
HDL 35L (Reference >=39)
LDL 166H (Reference 0-99)
VLDL 47H (Reference 0-40)

Vitamin D - 12.5 Lf (Reference 32-100) <---Was prescribed Vitamin D for a deficiency

So ....is horrible Cholesterol any thing I need to ground for? What about Vitamin D deficiency?

What about Vitamin D deficiency?
I have no idea if vitamin D deficiency would cause you to be grounded (I'd bet not) but would still advise you take a supplement for it daily. [Edit: I see you were already prescribed it.] Turns out vitamin D is correlated to telomere length, and telomere length is correlated to age longevity. (Telomeres are a sort of "end cap" on DNA strands.) So taking vitamin D may help slow your aging. Researchers are looking into it.

(Also with regard to slowing aging, a possibly new vitamin, pyrroloquinoline quinone (generally abbreviated to PQQ,) has definitely been shown to promote mitochondrial biogenesis; or as Wikipedia notes: "The implications of this revelation for human health and longevity are significant because the only other known methods proven to stimulate mitochondiral biogenesis in aging humans are intense aerobic exercise,[26] strict caloric restriction,[27] and certain medications such as thiazolidinediones[28] and the diabetes drug metformin.[29]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrroloquinoline_quinone)

Back