VORs with voice identifiers?

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know of some VORs which use a voice, rather than Morse, identifier? My understanding is they are denoted on the sectional by having “VOR” after the name. I have looked around a bit on my Foreflight sectional but don’t see any.

I did a quick scan of VORs in my area then spot-checked around the country and didn't see any with VOR after the name. Then I located and downloaded FAA data AIRNAV data files but they don't seem to have a field that designates VORs with voice IDs, unless it is buried in the type_code or some other field.

According to https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/aim_html/chap1_section_1.html :
"The only positive method of identifying a VOR is by its Morse Code identification or by the recorded automatic voice identification which is always indicated by use of the word “VOR” following the range's name."
But later says
"Voice identification has been added to numerous VORs. The transmission consists of a voice announcement, “AIRVILLE VOR” alternating with the usual Morse Code identification."

Just realized that the first sentence I quoted doesn't use the word "sectional" and indicates the audio includes the word VOR. The section above it says:
  1. Most VORs are equipped for voice transmission on the VOR frequency. VORs without voice capability are indicated by the letter “W” (without voice) included in the class designator (VORW).
So maybe section 2 was assumed to also be about sectionals when it was really about the audio output of the VOR.

Back