Well this'll ruin your day

callegro

So it was about that time to renew my 3rd class medical. I've had problems in the past due to an astygmatism in my left eye. That being said, I failed the medical due to my eyes not being at least 20/40 with corrective lenses and I would just have to get a letter sent to the FAA signed by my optometrist stating that I am allowed to fly with corrective lenses.

Anyways, I thought I would save myself 2 trips, so I scheduled my eye doctor appt before my FAA medical. According to reviews, this guy got rated the best eye doctor in Los Angeles, so I figured I would try someone new and get a 2nd opinion if my eye(s) could be fixed.

What he basically said is that the astygmatism has matured and is permanent. That my brain has basically shut down my left eye and is now focusing all vision through the good right eye. When I was diagnosed at age 7, he said that at that age, it is basically permanantly matured. Glasses/contacts won't help at all. I asked him about surgery and he said that it wouldn't be of much help as well. So with that said, he told me to confirm the FAA 3rd class reg about vision (20/40 with corrective lenses) and that he would sign a letter for me. Due to me not having not anywhere near 20/40 in the left eye, and 20/50 in the right, I don't know what to do. I have felt pretty depressed today and was wondering if you guys have been in a same situation.

20/50 even with correction in the right eye? Hmmm.

Don't know what to suggest, other than the obvious suggestion to try for sport pilot (I see by earlier posts you bought a Cherokee to motivate you to finish your training.)

callegro said:
Hey Jim, Yes, bought the Cherokee when I had a valid 3rd Class Medical.....big bummer....
Definitely sounds like a bummer. But you aren't the first to run into medical problems like that. Just keep in mind you still have options.

Back