What Is The Lowest AGL You Will Slip Prior To Landing

Sinistar

Well first I should clarify. This is not a crosswind landing slip but a slip to reduce altitude prior to landing and/or knock down some speed. We were flying last night and Kari wanted to practice a simulated engine fire. We setup at 3500agl directly over our sleepy airport. No planes in the pattern. Nobody on the ground. Wind was down the runway at 5kts. Announced on final time. Go time.

She got it into a nice steep spiral descent right away, airspeed indicating around 125mph and way pegged the VSI. I think she knocked out just shy of 3000ft of the descent in just over a minute. I gave her **** for ears popping. It ended with us coming in pretty hot just prior to the numbers at just around 100mph with flaps 10. We did not turn off the master so we did use flaps. At this point she was maybe 40ft above the numbers and she laid on a pretty gnarly slip to kill off a ton of speed and get it down right now to about 10ft or so. All of a sudden airspeed is about 80mph and ended like a power off 180 (well, it was a power off 180).

I guess I never even thought of doing an aggressive slip like that so close to the ground (excluding crosswind landing slips). Then again it was something more urgent (simulated) so makes a lot of sense. Definitely not something I have ever been taught. Is this just a comfort level thing?

A slip can be a very well controlled maneuver. In gliders often performed very close to the ground - maybe 10’.

Back