Who says PA28s can't climb?

tawood

Living in Michigan, surrounded on three sides by large expanses of water, I have learned that GA can definitely reduce huge chunks of travel time vs driving...IF...you are willing to fly over those large, cold lakes. During any time other than August (when the lakes are actually warmish) I will usually choose to fly over the lake as long as I can do it in the mid teens MSL, so that I am within gliding distance to shore for most, if not all, of the flight. During the August warm-lake times, I will even fly over at more common altitudes (but usually at least 6000 feet just for radio comms). Flyers that don't live in this area might not understand just how big the Great Lakes can be, but as an example, at 8000 feet last month, I flew over Lake Michigan, and for about 20 minutes I could not see land, even though it was a "severe clear" kind of day.
So, its not uncommon for me to keep O2 around, and make the flights over the lakes (especially Lake Michigan) at 12k-14k or so. I've learned my Piper Arrow 200 kinda runs out of steam above 14,500...below that, I'm usually maintaining at least 500 fpm, but above 14,5k, it rapidly drops to 250 fpm or less. Anyhow, the other day I was goofing around, had O2 on board, and a stiff tailwind, so I kept climbing. I (eventually) made it to 17,500. Interesting points: at 17,500 my NA Arrow IO360 was only burning about 6.5 gph, yet with that strong tailwind, I was seeing 192 knots! That works out to over 220 mph, and nearly 35 mpg!
What's a good post without pictures?:

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

I love the groundspeed, we have a similar picture on a trip from Texas to NC when we had a screaming tailwind. I’ve only been over Lake Michigan once. Unfortunately it was miserable. Nature called and my bladder flat refused to use the Lady John.

Hey @tawood it was inevitable. Might as well start the first track up vs. north up debate. Lol

Who’s starting the high wing, low wing thread?

Cool trip in the arrow by the way. The only way I could do that trip is under the glide to land scenario. I don’t like the idea of ditching.

Hey @tawood it was inevitable. Might as well start the first track up vs. north up debate. Lol

Who’s starting the high wing, low wing thread?

Cool trip in the arrow by the way. The only way I could do that trip is under the glide to land scenario. I don’t like the idea of ditching.
Its the "after ditching" part that worries me. In all months except August, your survival time in the water is measured in minutes due to the cold temps...at least surface temps in August are in the low 70s, and you'd have a few hours.

And it goes: low wing, track up...of course! LOL

Low wing, north up gets my vote. I feel much more strongly about the north up part than I do the low vs high wing choice. 😄

Its the "after ditching" part that worries me. In all months except August, your survival time in the water is measured in minutes due to the cold temps...at least surface temps in August are in the low 70s, and you'd have a few hours.

And it goes: low wing, track up...of course! LOL
I’m in Southeast Wisconsin and only about 5% of the pilots I know would cross Lake Michigan in a single engine piston. I have not crossed it myself; maybe someday. I am hoping to fly my Navion to Mackinac Island and that may involve some open water flying (cutting the corners on the north end of Michigan) but having lived in the Midwest most of my life, I know how cold Lake Michigan is. Also, Coast Guard is not regularly cruising the Great Lakes, so if you ditch, even in August, I’m certain you’re looking at hours, not minutes, before rescue.

Back