Why are retractable singles out of style?

Morne

Of the newer production singles out there few are retractable gear. Why?

Historically, especially as it pertains to Cessna, I understand. The 182 started life fixed gear and if you wanted retract then you stepped up to the 210. Only as airframe model lines matured did they start offering the 172, 177 and 182 as retractables.

I understand that the retracts are heavier and hence why they were only found in higher-powered planes (even the 182RG has more oomph than the straight-leg 182). But with modern materials and electronics constantly getting smaller and lighter why should this be such a hurdle today?

I also understand that there were some reliability issues. It seems to me that the ultimate solution of removing the gear doors, as on the 210 like discussed in this month's CPA magazine, fixes a bunch of the headaches for not much performance loss. Who needs the doors anyway?

So back to the original point - what is with avoiding retracts like the plague? Especially in this day of high AvGas costs? Who wants those drag machines hanging in the breeze chewing up your fuel budget?

Back