Why Full Rich On Take Off?

Geico266

Long story but, I had the opportunity to talk to one of the founding partners at Ly-Con, CA. I asked him several questions about their IO-360 220 HP engine. Specificslly , can I run 91 octane mogas in that engine and the answer was yes. Another question was why do you need to run full rich on take off? He really could not answer it except to say " Just do it".

So I will ask the masses.... With today's engine monitors measuring every hole why do you you need to land or take off full rich? I can monitor each EGT and see that they are no where near peak, more like 1200f. If I run full rich on take off I'm at 1125f. :dunno: how does running the engine at full power on take off at with an EGT of 1200f hurt the engine? :dunno:

What say you?

I assume you mean full rich when taking off from below about 3000 ft msl?

My understanding from various mountain flying guides is that, absent POH guidance, in a normally aspirated engine one should try to lean for best performance at full throttle before taking off. Sparky Imeson's Mountain Flying Bible even suggests doing this leaning during the takeoff roll, but keep it a tad rich.

Back