Would a parachute make you feel safer?

Jhernandez04

Hey guys, I was talking to a few non pilot buddies and it got me thinking because no matter who I ask they always bring up the parachute subject. Some planes have them built in so obviously they are used from time to time in that manner.

I also watched a video the other day on here when a NASA pilot couldnt recover from a spin, he had a parachute on his back and bailed. I believe he was in a baron.

So, for a low time pilot or even high time.... if your in a single/double prop plane would having a parachute in the plane or on your back make you feel at ease while flying? Seems like a silly question with an obvious answer, but any time I have discussed this with a pilot they always say "why would you leave a perfectly good airplane?" or "fly it to the ground."

My line of thought is, if im thinking about using a chute, its not a perfect airplane..... anyways, what do you guys think? I'm almost ready to purchase one just for piece of mind.:yesnod:

steingar said:
Because the vast majority of crashes are caused not by malfunction, but pilot error. Most aircraft were well built and are hopefully well maintained.

I've never seen the point of making the majority of my preparations based on the minority outcome.
I missed the post that claimed that a whole-plane parachute is a substitute for, or makes impossible or difficult, other forms of safety preparations. Did it get deleted?

Back