WTF? How the **** do you phone the tower?

MAKG1

So, I want to do some landing practice at Oakland tonight. Now, it's baseball season, and the usual North Field spots are inside the stadium TFR, and there is an A's game tonight. Flight training activities are prohibited in some TFRs, but not the stadium TFR. I do need to be under "positive ATC control" to operate inside the TFR. Not a problem, as long as Tower will approve closed traffic.

So, I thought I'd call the tower and find out if they would approve it.

Except the tower number is a big secret. WTF? It's not in the A/FD. It's not in the FAA website (though the TRACon and Center numbers are there). No one has phone book government pages anymore.

So, I called the ops number, which is in the A/FD. I got a know-nothing receptionist who refused to give me the Tower number! She offered to relay, which I guess was my only option. I asked if closed traffic would be allowed during the stadium TFR. She responded that the airport would not be closed. Sigh. That's not what I asked. I eventually changed that to "flight training activities" and got an answer that it might be different, but would be allowed. I have no confidence that the answer will be anywhere near right, given the confusion between a closed airport and closed traffic. Or maybe the difference is that closed traffic isn't allowed….

So, how the hell ARE we supposed to find out this stuff? Am I supposed to just arrive there, ask for the option, and deal with it if they say no? Seems kinda stupid to me.

Back