20 year sentence for staging a plane crash?

PeterNSteinmetz

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t have any real sympathy for what this guy did. Stupid to wreck a plane for views. But it was over an unpopulated area and no one was injured. A 20 year statutory minimum seems over the top and an example of felony creep.

A 20 year statutory minimum seems over the top and an example of felony creep.
If you look a little deeper you'll find the 20 year felony statements do not apply to his aircraft operating violations under Title 49. Those were dealt with by the FAA administratively last year with the revocation of his pilot certificate. His current charge(s) are under Title 18 and apply to his obstruction of a federal investigation which covers all federal investigations. He currently has a plea agreement where the prosecutor has recommended the minimum sentence guideline of 18 months for one count vs the maximum 20 year sentence for multiple counts which he was initially charged with. So no felony creep under Title 49. Regardless, lie to a federal investigator and destroy evidence will definitely get you free housing and 3 square meals complete with a new green jumpsuit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional clarifications. 12 months or so seems about right to me for lying to investigators and destroying evidence.

What a crazy deal. These channels must make some money as hauling out the wreckage with a helicopter must cost a chunk of change.

Are the jumpsuits green in that system? I always thought they were orange…

These channels must make some money as hauling out the wreckage with a helicopter must cost a chunk of change.
I believe the top youtuber made north of $50 million last year. Also personally know the parents of a couple TikTok'rs who make around $5 million a year. Its very profitable if you have the views and subscribers. Hence the reasons for filming the unusual or if one has incredible talent.

12 months or so seems about right to me for lying to investigators and destroying evidence.
Here is a link to his plea bargain: https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/jacob-plea-agreement.pdf
Are the jumpsuits green in that system?
Thats what they wear in Federal Prison Camps which is where he will probably go vs a "regular" Federal prison. Unfortunately had a few friends who had a membership to Club Fed for several years and used to visit them. Regardless, its still prison.

Thanks for the additional clarifications. 12 months or so seems about right to me for lying to investigators and destroying evidence.

What a crazy deal. These channels must make some money as hauling out the wreckage with a helicopter must cost a chunk of change.

Are the jumpsuits green in that system? I always thought they were orange…
I think five years sounds right, plus reimbursement of the taxpayers for the rescue attempts and cleanup costs. And never be allowed near an airplane again. He destroyed a vintage aircraft, could have caused a forest fire, could have caused property damage or even killed someone... He really had no idea what his airplane would do once it was unmanned. It was beyond irresponsible.

Back