3rd Class Medical and Special Issuance Rejection

Tennyson

I met with my AME before I started dual instruction for my private license. I'm now ~11 hours in and have received a rejection for my 3rd class, as well as consideration for special issuanc in the same letter. The issues cited were insomnia, depression, anxiety, and bipolar.

I'm confident I have enough supporting documentation to prove that all of those were circumstantial due to night shift, and some other extenuating circumstances- obviously bipolar is the big one.

The word 'diagnosed' (also in quotes in the record) with bipolar was mentioned offhand in some records from my GP, in reference to something another doctor had said over a decade ago in one of the extenuating circumstances. I don't believe I was ever diagnosed, I've never taken meds for it and, had I been pursuing my license then, I would have never said anything so speculative and tenuous to my GP.

I'm still trying to get records and a statement from the doctor from whom the bipolar thing originated. I have a perfectly high functioning and accomplished life, no meds, and I know my CFI will write me a glowing statement.

I'm wondering, while I am in the process of building my appeal with the NTSB, if anyone has any experience or advice with this situation, or an idea of what to expect. I would be devastated if I couldn't fly anymore .

Also perhaps see my FAA medical page for some ideas and options you might consider in the meantime.

http://tinyurl.com/faaMedicalInfo

Dr. Chien is one of the experts on this. And if he says 5 figures, it is likely 5 figures, though spread over several years. Not an enormous amount compared to getting an ATP, but equivalent to a few private certificates.

From post #1 it sounds like it was mentioned in some of the records that the AME may have been reviewing. But the OP knows for sure …

Back