3rd Class Medical SSRI - Looking for piece of mind.

Stegoo_86

Hello fellow aviators,

I've been on here a few times asking some questions and I feel that I have sorted most of this out. However, I'm still nervous about my meeting within my HIMS AME this coming week. Here is what's up:

I'm a PPL who passed and carried my medical 15 years ago. After all these years, I wasn't aware of a basic med and re-applied for my 3rd class. Now I'm in this pickle because I was diagnosed with GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and prescribed (by my own decision, not required by a doctor) an SSRI. I've been on this medication for about 2 years, not issues and I feel fine. I've received my recommendation letter from my physiatrist (who is board certified) and spoken to my HIMS AME during a consult. She said that this shouldn't be an issue, we just need to ensure we're sending everything the FAA is requesting.

I've reviewed the needed forms, confirmed that I do not meet any of the "rule-outs" and feel confident in my ability to be issued an SI. However, I have one snag...my childhood.

I don't know how to proceed with this. I grew up in an age where an active imagination or creative thought was deemed "ADHD" for a child. I was not diagnosed with ADHD but was issued multiple different medications that I cant even remember. It's been later confirmed that I was misdiagnosed and perspired when I shouldn't have been. I wasn't taking any medication when I first applied for my medical, hence why I passed. To make this more complex, both of my parents are deceased, so I have no way of knowing who these doctors were, or where these records may be. So, my question here is as follows:

Do I need to dive deep into my childhood and misdiagnoses?
Does my prior medical being approved hold any bearing on me being issued another one?

I understand that I need to be fully honest, and I'm not afraid to do that, however, I don't want to make things more complicated and open up a whole different can of worms that essentially doesn't reflect on who I am today.

Any personal feedback or opinions would be helpful. I do plan to come back after all of this to explain my experience and where I went wrong. (Wish me luck).

Other question will be if the SSRI is one of the approved 3.

In terms of history, you can only get the records you can get. It does not sound like they will be as important as a current exam and evaluation.

More information available on my FAA medical information page at http://tinyurl.com/faaMedicalInfo.

Back