AA required?

SoSMRT

I'm looking at possibly getting a medical and going for a private, I'm currently a Sport Pilot with a DL medical.

I had a DUI and rehab stay about 10 years ago (separate incidents). I never gelled with AA with the religious/spirituality angle, however I did find SMART recovery and it's been an immense help, so much so I'm a facilitator for a meeting (meaning I guide the meeting and demonstrate SMART techniques).

So simple question, is this good enough for the FAA? or will I have to do time in AA (which, to start chasing an instrument rating, I would consider).

Tarheelpilot said:
My point was I do not have any common frame of reference to an alcoholic or a non believer. Both of those are foreign to me and I don’t think it’s possible to relate. At least not for me. My statement was about me.
One way to think about it is that an important part of recovery may be that one has to realize that the problem is outside of one’s direct control and will require outside assistance to overcome.

Essentially this is adopting an illness model, rather than the more volitional model of “I am guilty and to blame.” Sort of like realizing that if you have a broken leg you may need an orthopedic surgeon to help you.

For many people with a substance abuse disorder, the guilt they have interferes with recovery. So recognizing they need outside help can be a big step toward that recovery.

I think the outside help can come in many forms - a trusted doctor, friend, or mystical belief can all assist depending on the background of the person with the disorder.

Back