Advantages of the Flyers Forum

For many years we (the creators of this forum) have been members of aviation forums. But we have become increasingly unsatisfied with their policies. So we created Flyers Forum (FF) and we'd like to explain why we think it is an improvement over existing forums. We believe there are two primary goals for an aviation forum - a large robust public community and controlling abuse of and on the forum. There is a natural tension between these goals which has been addressed by existing forums in different ways, though we have not been satisfied with those approaches.

So we set out to make a General Aviation (GA) forum that is open to search engines and public browsing while operating with minimal central moderation. We believe moderation is best applied by each member because they know best the members they prefer to engage in conversation. If you see two members in never-ending squabbles you should be able to block their posts from your view without having to ask a moderator to silence them somehow. Likewise, if someone starts trolling or stalks your posts you should be able to promptly block them from seeing your posts and vice-versa. Member-level moderation is naturally tuned precisely to the member's desires and sensibilities and the most timely mechanism available. We also feel that the ability to promptly block another poster from seeing your posts and vice versa greatly reduces the need for traditional central moderation and the sins that eventually arise from such "absolute power."

We hope you see the advantages of FF's choice of policies and self-moderation tools and will give it a try.

In the following we discuss some of the design considerations for FF:

There are forums for people interested in specific aircraft makes, for student pilots, for airline transport pilots, and for other subsets of aviation. The intended audience of FF is anyone interested in GA flying. So we'll compare it with some other forums that also target that audience. The table below compares the main policy choices of FF to those forums (stats recorded August 15, 2022.)

ForumOpen to Search Engines and Public BrowsingModerationPosting Rules
FlyersForum (FF)YesControlled by users. Two admins.None listed.
PilotsOfAmerica (PoA)
(~35,000 members.)
YesControlled by eight moderators.Twenty-six bulleted rules.
PurpleBoard (PB)
(~4,600 members.)
NoControlled by two moderators, or whatever.Ten rules that DCat22 says boil down to "Don't be a dick."
ThePilotsPlace (TPP)
(~15,000 members.
In 2021 merged with cessna172club (C172C) model-specific forum which had ~13,000 members indicating ~2000 pre-merge members.)
NoControlled by nine moderators."Play nicely."
PilotSpin (PS)
(~400 members.)
NoNot moderated. Absentee admin.None intended.

[Note: The Moderation table entries for PB and TPP have been updated as of Sept. 22, 2022 per information from their respective admins. Likewise the Posting Rules entry for PB was updated per feedback from DCat22.]

We have observed the following:
  • PoA has the largest community. It is also the oldest forum listed here.
  • PoA and PB are roughly the same age but PB membership has stagnated and posting volume is a small fraction of PoA.
  • The GA membership of all the closed forums are much smaller than PoA and their membership activity has stagnated. The entire C172C database was added to TPP in 2021, so ~87% of its members were not added by normal or "organic" means.
  • Therefore because it is open to search engines and public browsing PoA has succeeded where closed GA forums generally have not.
  • PS's combination of closed access and no moderation (with the exception of anti-spam removal) requires an application of personal fortitude and restraint not everyone cares to employ. It is a user-created spin-off from "The Spin Zone" forum that existed on - and later deleted from - PoA.
Problems with central moderation:
  • Though PoA is an otherwise fine forum, its lengthy set of rules and inevitable ambiguities has caused many users to run afoul of those rules. This is worsened by the rule "Bans and warnings, actual or suspected, shall not be discussed on the forums. Any inquiries or comments regarding bans are to be sent in private messages or via email." It is further worsened by the rule Whenever someone is clearly and deliberately posting for the purpose of angering and/or insulting the other participants of the board, it is considered "trolling." This requires judging the state of mind of the poster. More than one user has had their posts deleted with no explanation when they ask what rules their post violated. The operators of this site have either been victims of these moderation problems or been witness to them.
  • All the forums appear to rely on volunteer moderators. As posting volume increases the demand on their time increases. They must act entirely on their own judgement or within the bounds of written rules. The task requires humility and diplomacy that few have or can sustain for long periods of time. Adding moderators increases the range of applied decisions for rules requiring subjective decisions. Bias also appears inevitable.
  • Moderators act only after they see an offending post or someone reports one. The inevitable moderation delays, subjective decision crieria, and occasional missed "bad" posts creates a perception of unequal treatment even when moderation rules are otherwise consistently applied.
  • Oddly, relaxed moderation can work, as evidenced by the PB, in which posts and posters are almost never sanctioned. A "lazy" moderator that members know is using personal judgement rather than applying a list of rules seems to tend toward self-moderation. Heated exchanges tend to die off on their own when left alone. Moderators often don't realize that generally none of the participants in heated exchanges are enjoying themselves and so look for an early opportunity to exit.
  • At its core, moderated forums require each member surrender their ability to choose the posts they are allowed to see (and what posts they may make) to a party that knows nothing about their desires or sensibilities.
Problems of being closed to public browsing:
  • Whatever wisdom or useful info is posted to a closed forum is forever out of reach of web search engines. Web searches that yield such useful hits to open forums do translate into new members for those forums.
  • A user who considers joining a closed forum but wants to first see whether it is worthwhile is placed in a Catch-22 situation. As a result many simply don't join and move on to publicly readable forums.

P.S. Notes on the name: Flyers Forum is intended to be the plural non-possessive form, not singular or plural possessive (i.e. no apostrophe anywhere.) You may also note we don't have "pilot" in the name since non-pilots are welcome. Although sited in the United States, we wanted it to be of global interest so no "America" or "USA" in the name.

Last edited:
Great post explaining the philosophy of the forum.

If the forum is available to public engines and posts can be browsed by the public, yet I can make my posts invisible to a member, can we have a feature where I can make my posts invisible to the general public not logged in? One of the things I like most about pilotspin is our posts can‘t be picked up by general searching, but I also understand how that severely limits new member recruitment.

Or could this feature be toggled on and off by post? Maybe I don’t mind some of my posts being publicly visible, but others I only want logged in members to be able to see.

If the forum is available to public engines and posts can be browsed by the public, yet I can make my posts invisible to a member, can we have a feature where I can make my posts invisible to the general public not logged in? One of the things I like most about pilotspin is our posts can‘t be picked up by general searching, but I also understand how that severely limits new member recruitment.

Or could this feature be toggled on and off by post? Maybe I don’t mind some of my posts being publicly visible, but others I only want logged in members to be able to see.
I'll reply over on the thread created by Peter: https://flyersforum.org/threads/limiting-guest-access-to-posts.56/

Hiding posts and blocking users are somewhat interrelated, so bear with me:
  1. It is reasonable to ask what is accomplished by user-level blocking if all one needs to do is log out of the forum, which then makes the blocked person's posts visible to the world? The counterpoints to this are:
    • The creation of "sock puppet" accounts allows evasion of user-targeted two-way blocks - even on heavily moderated private forums. All it takes is some effort on the part of the person attempting the evasion.
    • If the target of your two-way block logs out, sees a post of yours they want to respond to, they will be unable to quote it directly on logging back in. The best they can do is copy-and-paste from the public view. They have to go through more steps. The seriously butt-hurt will go to extremes that try even the patience of moderated forums.
    • Blocks of any sort should be seen as a helpful tool to reduce irritation, but not as a panacea.
  2. FF is intended as an alternative to pilotsofamerica.com (PoA) more than an alternative to closed forums like pilotspin.com (PS) or purpleboard.net (PB). If you were OK with posting to PoA you should be OK with posting to FF. The public visibility was deemed by us as essential. Peter pointed out to me that when he went looking for online aviation forums PoA stood out in search engines but he had to be told of the existence of PS and PB. That said:
    • A subforum (or category) can be set as visible only to registered users. In fact Peter and I use a subforum that is invisible to everyone but us admins to discuss admin topics.
    • We could replicate the old PoA pilotspin subforum whose posts are visible only to members who ask to join it, but for now we think PS works fine. You can certainly post hot-button issues on FF, but if it works as we hope, such actions would be self-limiting.
    • There may be a way (via an add-on extension to the software) for a poster to make a thread they create visible only to registered users. We'd need to look into that. I don't know if such a thing is possible at single-post granularity.
Of course there are those who, on seeing posts they disagree with, want the poster universally censored, not merely removed from their own view. FF is not for them.

Last edited:
[...] can we have a feature where I can make my posts invisible to the general public not logged in?
I found and just now installed a Xenforo add-on that allows the creator of a thread to hide the entire thread from the public. Would that be sufficient?

(It has one obvious "bug": the title of the hidden thread shows up temporarily as a "last post" in the category it was placed in - fortunately a guest gets a "no permission" message if they click on its link.)

It still wouldn't let me view the thread until I logged in.
Oops. Here it is for those who don't want to log in.
Google is currently indexing the forums. One change is already apparent: if you search Google for "pilots place", this place will now be the first listing. It will contain sublinks for contact, register, login and forums. Clicking forums will take you to the login page which now displays the forums that a guest can see without logging in.

If you search for "pilots place" in bing, The Pilot's Place comes up as the first listing and with an option to show only results from thepilotsplace.com. Clicking on that link shows a lot of information.

If you search Bing for "the VOR system", a link to this site is the 6th link listed, right after AOPA and two links ahead of Wikipedia. If you try the same thing in Google, we are not listed anywhere in the first 10 pages. That's not surprising: Google is still indexing the pages, with an estimate of being finished by tomorrow.

Trying the same search in Yahoo results in us being the 8th link listed in the results page.

Forum admin of Pilot's Place seems to have decided he enjoys the exposure; that forum is now available to anonymous viewers and search engines.
I see some, but not all, of that site is now searchable and viewable by guests.

Since a person may post things to a closed forum that they wouldn't post to an open forum, suddenly finding those posts visible to the world may come as a shock. Except for that aspect it is good to see our analysis may have lead to that change. There is still the issue of moderation by an elite set rather than by the members themselves.

I see some, but not all, of that site is now searchable and viewable by guests.

Since a person may post things to a closed forum that they wouldn't post to an open forum, suddenly finding those posts visible to the world may come as a shock. Except for that aspect it is good to see our analysis may have lead to that change. There is still the issue of moderation by an elite set rather than by the members themselves.
I think you guys must’ve missed the part where he said the 172 forum was always meant to be open because it had always been open. He just hadn’t had a chance to do it/forgot about it until you had contacted him about this place. He could be making that up, but I doubt it. The 172 forum was always open, and now it still is. 🤷‍♂️

I think you guys must’ve missed the part where he said the 172 forum was always meant to be open because it had always been open. He just hadn’t had a chance to do it/forgot about it until you had contacted him about this place. He could be making that up, but I doubt it. The 172 forum was always open, and now it still is. 🤷‍♂️
I did miss that, thanks for the info.

I had wondered how a closed aircraft type-specific forum had managed to gain so many users since it went contrary to our observations of other closed forums. The numbers make more sense if it had been open.

Back